French and Spanish are regaining Vietnam and Philippines

Dawie   Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:52 pm GMT
I fail to see what use French is to Vietnamese people. Surely Vietnamese is the most significant and important language to them?
Guest   Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:17 am GMT
French is being revived in Vietnam nowadays. In fact it's a full member of La Francophonie.

Majority of those who study it are youth. The reason why many/some opted for it instead of English is probably because they saw no difference and advancement from those who studied English.
mac   Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:56 am GMT
Just because more young people are studying French doesn't mean a whole lot. Not unless a majority learns it and uses it enough so that it becomes a de facto or official language which it probably won't. To my knowledge, the best languages to get you by in Vietnam are Vietnamese and English.

Spanish language and culture is more imbeded and intertwined in the Philippines then French is in Vietnam.
ibm   Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:57 am GMT
<< Spanish language and culture is more imbeded and intertwined in the Philippines then French is in Vietnam. >>

Sure Mac, so that's why younger generations of Spanish descents in the Philippines speak English as their first language and French, Japanese, Italian, and German are studied and spoken as their second foreign language than Spanish.

I didn't say that French would become the official and national language of Vietnam. I said it is fast becoming popular again and catching up with English. If you don't believe me then go to Yahoo Messenger and enter the French room and ask Vietnamese chatters to invite you and use headset.
ibm   Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:01 am GMT
BTW go to Philippine room too in YM and try open a Spanish conversation with the chatters there and it would be easier for you to find a needle in a stack of hay.
mac   Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 pm GMT
I didn't mean imbeded to the core like other former Spanish colonies, but there still are some important characteristics like Spanish names for one thing, and also Spanish loan words in the Filipino language, and Roman Catholicism. The country was under Spanish influence for almost 400 years, so I'm sure there are other cultural aspects that reflect that as well.

Also, remember that Spanish was the language of the Philippine Revolution and was used in their constitution, although it was short lived because of U.S. intervention. After that, English grew in the 20th century while Spanish declined.

Not really trying to argue. I know that most Filipinos don't speak Spanish (at least for now anyways). I'm just saying that the influence of Spanish language and culture is very apparent there.

<< If you don't believe me then go to Yahoo Messenger and enter the French room and ask Vietnamese chatters >>

I do believe you. Sorry if the first part of my previous post was aggressive. I just think that English will remain the most useful Euro language in Asia, at least for the forseeable future.
ibm   Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:23 am GMT
<< I do believe you. Sorry if the first part of my previous post was aggressive. I just think that English will remain the most useful Euro language in Asia, at least for the forseeable future. >>

Sure, nothing to argue about it because of the strong US influence, and Asians tend to look to US for everything even if the ideas were originally European, a sign that they are not aware, informed, or knowlegeable about other countries.
ibm   Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:47 am GMT
Oops! orry for the strong message, mac! I was carried away by my opinion.
youth   Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:37 pm GMT
"Sure, nothing to argue about it because of the strong US influence, and Asians tend to look to US for everything even if the ideas were originally European, a sign that they are not aware, informed, or knowlegeable about other countries."

and what are these supposed ideas?

Do you not know that Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, Singapore etc. are technological years a head from Europe and America.

therefore, your statement just shows how ignorant you are.
Xie Z.A.   Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:54 am GMT
>> Do you not know that Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, Singapore etc. are technological years a head from Europe and America.

Technological wise, it may be arguable; but cultural wise, I can only see a lot of English words being imported into Asian languages. Even my native Chinese is also full of English words, though fortunately many terms can't fit Hanzi well and thus quite sinitized...
ibm   Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:14 am GMT
<< Do you not know that Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, Singapore etc. are technological years a head from Europe and America.

therefore, your statement just shows how ignorant you are. >>

You better shut up Youth because you don't know what you're writing and you're the one who's ignorant.

In electronics Asian countries like Japan, Korea but not China or India are ahead. But when it comes to mobile phones, space, aerospace, machinery, or armaments, Europe is far ahead than Asia.
Guest   Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 am GMT
Armaments, what amazing cultural achievement.
youth   Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm GMT
<Technological wise, it may be arguable; but cultural wise, I can only see a lot of English words being imported into Asian languages. Even my native Chinese is also full of English words, though fortunately many terms can't fit Hanzi well and thus quite sinitized.>

that can be said for nearly all langauges. look at German, which probably has the most loanword from English. however, you never hear people say their culture is primitive.

<In electronics Asian countries like Japan, Korea but not China or India are ahead. But when it comes to mobile phones, space, aerospace, machinery, or armaments, Europe is far ahead than Asia.>

sorry I think you have confused America with Europe. They invented the practical mobile phone, europe aerospace is a joke and you will find that japan economy is the second largest in the world and countries such as China, India and South Korea will probably surpass Europe with a couple of decades.

p.s. Asia h
Adolfo   Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:10 pm GMT
"In electronics Asian countries like Japan, Korea but not China or India are ahead. But when it comes to mobile phones, space, aerospace, machinery, or armaments, Europe is far ahead than Asia. "

At least at mobile phones, Japan is ahead of everyone else, and significantly ahead of US, where the i-phone has been released recently with obsolete technology even for Europe, not to say Japan. This country is 5 and 10 years ahead of Europe and US respectively at communication technology.
Guest   Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:34 pm GMT
i-phone=a joke
Japan=no.1
Adolfo I agree with you for once.