Is German really worth learning?

Claudia von Kassel   Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:26 pm GMT
"...and since WWII German is not" I meant to say.
K. T.   Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
For Claudia:

I think as long as we have topics that are specific and people leave out comments about SIZAN (forgive me, Aidualc), trolls will be less likely to spoil the thread.

There are so many possiblities...
Claudia von Kassel   Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:42 pm GMT
K.T.,

I can assure you that I will leave out comments about Sinaz. ;)

Brennus loves to delete everything to do with German. Go to Langcafe to find posts all about it!

Schönes Wochenende,
Claudia
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:04 am GMT
Okay, I'll check it out. I hope you also have a wonderful weekend.

K. T.
Adolfo   Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
You always complain about German posts being deleted. Also other posts get deleted without any explainations, for example one about Spanish operas.. I find this so rude!. Definitely moderators here are bad.
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
Is it Spanish operas or opera in general that the moderators dislike (lol)? I just posted a bit about professions and languages (including hints for would-be opera singers); we'll see if it gets deleted. I did try to look at one of the links for Spanish opera (real Spanish opera), but (lol) *poof*
it was gone as usual.
Adolfo   Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:14 pm GMT
Well, there are not operas in Spanish. There is a lyrical genre called Zarzuela, but I don't see many differences between both.
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
What about "La vida breve" by Manuel de Falla?
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:27 pm GMT
Adolfo   Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:33 pm GMT
OK, there are a few operas composed by spanish authors but this genre is far less popular than Zarzuela in spanish speaking countries.
Babel   Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:30 pm GMT
The question is not about Brennus, it is about German language.

I think that German is only a regional language (Central european language). It was a lingua franca in Central-Eastern Europe, but it is English now. English is more useful because it is important in all Europe.

At the same time, German is not spoken in other continents as official language. English, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese and Arabic are spoken at least in two continents. German in the central area of one.
Adolf   Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:33 pm GMT
The mistake of Germany was to not unify their country before the XIX century and conquer many parts of the world. This way German would be more spread across the globe and it even would fight against English as the world lingua franca.
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:43 pm GMT
I fully understand that people do not like Germans because of WWII or other reasons. The main thing to do is to keep the topic focused on the language, not politics or neo-nazis. I was not even born until decades after WWII and I know this! I can love Mozart and Beethoven and hate what the Nazis did. I don't put an unnecessary stigma on a language shared by MANY people, so I see no reason that polite conversation about German should be yanked. Dang, y'all! I wanted to discuss modern German literature and films here, but oh no!
Guest   Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
"I fully understand that people do not like Germans because of WWII"

I don't! To hate a whole nation which today is as innocent as other nations is just ridiculous.
Most of them who think that way are just hypocrites! They don't see the irony!
K. T.   Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:58 pm GMT
That depends on your POV, I guess. If you lost relatives during the Holocaust (Jewish or not) or during WWII, perhaps you wouldn't think of Germans as the funny guys in Hogan's Heroes.

Remember, I'm NOT against Germans, but I know how people find it hard to forgive. People still hate Japanese people too (or resent them)...It doesn't take much to hate. IF you take time to think about it, all it takes is one unkind word from someone from a particular country and resentment will grow.

So,

If there is a personal reason behind deleting German thread, I don't like it, but I would like to be compassionate enough to understand the reason, then maybe we can move on and just enjoy languages and discussing them.