Why are brits stealing T.S. Eliot from Americans?

Mr. Richter   Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
...he grew up in St. Louis and studied in America. he is NOT A BRITISH AUTHOR!!!!
Mr. Richter   Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:51 pm GMT
He even writes like an American! (That means he writes clearly!)
Adam   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
"...he grew up in St. Louis and studied in America. he is NOT A BRITISH AUTHOR!!!! "

Well, he wasn't until he moved to Britain in 1914 aged 25, and became a British citizen in 1927 at the age of 39.

Since then, for almost 40 years until his death, he was ours.
Adam   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
He died at the age of 76. For just 25 of those years did he live in America.
Mr. Richter   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
His mind was THOROUGHLY AMERICAN BEFORE HE MOVED TO BRITAIN. Quit stealing our most brilliant minds. Europeans always try to steal Americans, whether it is for education, vacation, or sensuous delights.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:32 pm GMT
Nobody "stole" T S Eliot and nobody "stole" or has since "stolen" his admirable works - certainly not us here in Britland. He may well have been persuaded by Ezra Pound (another American poet) to stay in England after he had obtained his travelling scholarship to Oxford University, but ultimately that was his own choice. He need not have done so if he really didn't wish it. So you see, it wasn't even a Brit who "asked" him to stay on in Britain...it was a fellow American.

He was indeed born and "raised" (as the Americans say) in America's Middle West, but as I've said he came over here - and stayed (not at gunpoint or anything as I say - he just decided to remain this side of the Puddle). He mixed well in British literary circles (including the Bloomsbury set) and became a British citizen in 1927 - entirely of his own volition, so he obviously liked it here, and even became a confirmed member of the Anglo Catholic branch of the Church of England. Again, nothing done under duress.

I reckon he did indeed become a British Author the moment he relinquished his American citizenship to become a British subject. Isn't that how things work out? Anyway, he just HAD to be British to be able to write about practical cats.....and a story about the murder of a prelate in the hallowed splendour of Canterbury Cathedral.
Skippy   Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:35 pm GMT
Why does it matter so much?
Rick o'Shea   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
Dunno, Skippy.

Talented American authors can't be that rare, can they?. Mr Ricter makes it seem like T.S Elliot was the only one.
Mr. Richter   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:15 pm GMT
T.S. Eliot is one of the TOP 5 POETS OF ALL TIME!!!! HE'S OURS! And why is a Woody Allen statue in Spain - quit stealing from us!!!!!!
Adam   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
"His mind was THOROUGHLY AMERICAN BEFORE HE MOVED TO BRITAIN"

Quite possibly, considering that he was born there.
Adam   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:17 pm GMT
What are you Americans going to do about it? It's not as if you are gouing to INVADE us, is it?
Guest   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:19 pm GMT
but we can threaten you with our verbal genius through our media.
Skippy   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
Yeah, he's not the only one... I think we can let one slide... If he preferred Britain to the US than I'm not gonna be eager to keep him an "American" author...
Mr. Richter   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
BRITAIN IS IRRELEVANT IN THE 21ST CENTURY!!!
Jim   Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:23 am GMT
Rubbish ... the Brits did indeed steal T. S. Elliot. Oh, you can go on and talk about the poet's own volition but it's all a smoke screen. The fact of the matter is that in 1914 a posse of pommies came to America on a ship and took the poet at gunpoint. Enough revisionism: he was stolen!