How to pronounce these symbols

Cleveland   Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:19 pm GMT
Im always confused when I have to tell people my email address or whatever the things on my keyboard, such like @, *, %, ^ ,~, #

how to pronounce them?

@

%

^

~

#
Travis   Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:26 pm GMT
(Note that the pronunciations below are mine)

@: at ["E{?], at sign ["E{?%sa:I~n] or ["E{?%sa:I~]
*: asterisk ["E{StSr\Ik]
%: percent sign ["p_hR=sE~?%sa:I~n] or ["p_hR=sE~?%sa:I~]
^: caret ["k_he:RI?]
~: tilde ["t_hI:M4@:]
#: hash ["hE{S], pound sign ["p_ha:U~n:%sa:I~n] or ["p_ha:U~n:%sa:I~]
Guest   Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:27 pm GMT
@ - at
* - asterisk / star
% - percent (sign)
^ - caret
~ - tilde
# - number sign / pound sign
Travis   Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:30 pm GMT
I forgot that "star" is also used here as well, primarily in phone numbers:

*: asterisk ["E{StSr\Ik], star ["stA:R]
furrykef   Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
The # is one of the trickier ones. Travis said "hash", but I believe that's usually used in Britain. In the US, I think it's usually used by programmers and other technical types, and in common usage, "pound sign" and "number sign" are more common. But in Britain, the "pound sign" refers to the £ symbol, as it refers to their currency, the pound.

It has even been given the humorous name "octothorpe", but few people use that name seriously, and many haven't heard it at all.

- Kef
Travis   Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:42 pm GMT
Actually, I do use "number sign" ["nV~:mbR=%sa:I~(n)] or ["nV~:m:R=%sa:I~(n)] for # as well. As for "hash", I primarily see that in use in computing contexts myself.
Guest 224   Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:05 am GMT
I never use "number sign" in place of "pound" because to me, it sounds a bit too juvenile.

And I cringe when others say "number sign," especially when I know that they are much more educated than that.
Guest   Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:21 am GMT
I use "ladder" for #.
Guest   Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:17 pm GMT
I've never heard of "number sign" being juvenile.
furrykef   Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:36 pm GMT
But it *is* a number sign. There's nothing juvenile about it. I prefer it myself, especially since it's the only name that will be understood by English speakers all around the world.

I've never heard it called a "ladder" before...

- Kef
Rodrigo (COL)   Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:02 pm GMT
When speaking to someone whose first language is Romance, or know more French/Portugese than English, circumflex may be understood more.
Uriel   Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:57 am GMT
All right then, what's that little doohickey under the C called?

And don't forget that while & simply means "and", the symbol itself has a fancy name: ampersand.
Guest   Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:55 am GMT
<<All right then, what's that little doohickey under the C called? >>

If you mean this doohickey: ¸ (as in 'ç'), it's called a "cedilla" in English and Spanish. In French it's a "cédille" and in Portuguese it's a "cedilha".
Uriel   Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:09 pm GMT
Aha! Thanks.
Uriel   Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
Previously, all I knew was that it made "curacao" into "cura-sow".