fit/fitted

Dolly   Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:29 pm GMT
Why would one use two forms of "fit" here? Are they interchangeable there?

"I fitted the ship with all the new features, so finally it fit the definition of the greatest ship in the world!"

(From Beneficii)
Dolly   Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
Looks like someone doesn't want this topic to be discussed
Dolly   Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:11 am GMT
<Looks like someone doesn't want this topic to be discussed >

Ah, the trolling post has been deleted. Please forget my comment. Now, back to the topic question... if you please.
Guest   Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:20 am GMT
If it is Beneficiis quote, why don't you ask that person instead of making a new thread for that question?
SpaceFlight   Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:35 am GMT
Can someone please delete this thread?
K. T.   Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:23 am GMT
なぜ削除されたのかな

fitは二つの意味を持ちます。米語では、どちらの意味で使うのかによって、過去形が変化することはあります。fit動詞が「合う」に相当する場合、fit過去形が可能ですが、他の場合は、(例えば、「合わせ」に相当する場合)fittedの方が自然だと思われます。

To answer your question (なぜ削除されたのかな) I wonder if it is because you are using Japanese in the English forum. You can use other languages in the language forum, but I'm pretty sure that they don't allow it here.

"Fit" has two meanings. In American usage, according to what is meant, the past tense can change. In the case of being suitable, the Japanese verb 合う (Au),"fit" as the past tense is a possibility, but in the other case (for example, the Japanese verb 合わせる/awaseru) I think "fitted" sounds more natural.

K. T.'s note: "Au" means suit; be suited to, match. I think "matched" works here. "Matched" the description.

"Awaseru" means to bring together, combine one thing with another
"Fitted out the ship"

相当/soutou plus "suru" also means suit, be suited for

That's what I got out of the Japanese, anyway.

I hope that helps!
I hate spam   Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 am GMT
I guess "fit" is just another one of those verbs that have different past tenses, depending on the meaning (like hang, get, strike, etc.).

When talking of equipping a something (especially a ship), you'd normally say something like "It was fitted out with new propellers". I don't think you'd normally say "fit out" in American English

On the other hand, I don't think you'd normally use "fitted" in this sentence: "The house really fit in with the others in the neighborhood."
Dolly   Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:45 am GMT
<On the other hand, I don't think you'd normally use "fitted" in this sentence: "The house really fit in with the others in the neighborhood." >

I get the feeling that not one native speaker here can explain the use of fit and fitted.
furrykef   Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 am GMT
<< I get the feeling that not one native speaker here can explain the use of fit and fitted. >>

What was wrong with that poster's explanation?

- Kef
Guest   Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:59 pm GMT
>>I get the feeling that not one native speaker here can explain the use of fit and fitted<<

Well British English speakers are unlikely to be able to as the past tense is always 'fitted', although the American usage is starting to creep in.

But yes, I think it's really in the hands of the Americans to answer.
Guest   Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:23 pm GMT
<What was wrong with that poster's explanation?>

Probably the "I don't think" part. Not a very clear and definitive explanation.

<<On the other hand, I don't think you'd normally use "fitted" in this sentence: "The house really fit in with the others in the neighborhood." >>
M56   Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:24 pm GMT
<But yes, I think it's really in the hands of the Americans to answer.>

Before Christmas if possible. :-)
guest   Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:33 pm GMT
I h8 spam
Jock   Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:35 pm GMT
This is the only use of "fit" (as past tense) I know.

3. To be in harmony; agree: His good mood fit in with the joyful occasion.
Dolly   Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:43 pm GMT
Simple question: can you use fitted here and get the same meaning? If not, why not? If yes, why?

"Kennedy spontaneously grabbed the housing director (also an Irishman) and Gore and started in on When Irish Eyes Are Smiling. It was almost as painful as when Mike Dukakis put on the helmet, which fit him like a kettledrum, and climbed into the tank for a photo op. Gore didn't know the words but tried to fake it, and that was the least of his problems."