fit/fitted

M56   Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:06 pm GMT
Kef, where does you mom stand on this one?

Is she going to be left behind by "progress"?

Extract from this page: http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2006/06/irregular-verbs-gotten-fit-knit.html

'Americans also have an irregular past/past participle for fit, but this one isn't so old.

US: Before he lost weight, the jacket (had) fit him.
UK: Before he lost weight, the jacket (had) fitted him.

In my dialect (or at least my idiolect!), we do use fitted when describing making something to measure. So:

US & UK: I had that jacket fitted. The tailor fitted me for a jacket.

But according to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style by Bryan A. Garner, I'm part of a dying breed and others are using only fit as the past tense of fit:

"Just since the mid-20th century, AmE has witnessed a shift in the past tense and past participle from fitted to fit. Traditionally, fit would have been considered incorrect, but it began appearing in journalism and even scholarly writing as early as the 1950s.
The traditionally correct past tense still surfaces—especially in BrE—but in AmE it is becoming rarer (and stuffier) year by year: “A most interesting item in my coin collection is a disk that fitted the pressure-spray nozzle on our apple-orchard pump some 50 years ago” (Christian Science Monitor). Although fitted may one day be extinct as a verb form, it will undoubtedly persist as an adjective fitted sheets."

Presumably the irregulari(s/z)ation of fit is on analogy with hit, which does not change its form in the past or past participle in either dialect.'
M56   Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:15 pm GMT
Sal: Do you think I should buy this coat?
Mal: Yes. I think it fit.

AEers????
Divvy   Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
So, can we all agree on this?

"In British English, the form fitted seems to be preferred.

In American English, the situation appears to be more complicated. Our research indicates that Americans generally prefer the simple past and past participle form fit. However, when the verb fit is used to mean "to tailor," they seem to prefer fitted."

http://www.englishpage.com/irregularverbs/info.html#7
GAE speaker   Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:54 pm GMT
<<So you wouldn't have use for the phrasal verb "fitted in", right? >>

That's right -- "fitted in" sounds strange.

<<US & UK: I had that jacket fitted. The tailor fitted me for a jacket.>>

This sounds OK -- the meaning here is sort of similar to the case with locomotives, etc. being fitted out (equipped) with something.
furrykef   Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:06 pm GMT
<< Kef, where does you mom stand on this one? >>

My mom's not old enough. If it began appearing in formal writing in the 50s, it probably began in speech earlier. The shift would have been well underway by the time she was born, and then it would be a couple of years before she acquired speech, and a couple more before all those nuances fell firmly into place, and for all we know she could have started with "fitted" but changed to "fit" by the time she was 10 and then completely forgot about it. So, if anyone, I'd have to ask my grandparents instead. Even then, one could hardly blame them if they don't remember even if they once did use "fitted". (I nearly typed "if they did used to use 'fitted'", a construction I remember you complaining about before. Actually, I did type it, and then I changed it. Hmm... I think that construction is interesting enough that I'll start a thread on it.)

But since you asked, I asked her anyway, being careful not to lead her to draw any particular conclusions. Her idea of usage seems to match my own. After pondering for a few minutes, she suggested that "this once fitted me well" sounds OK (although her tone of voice was uncertain), but that "this used to fit me well" sounded better. I also have no recollection of ever overhearing her use "fitted" where I would use "fit", which in most contexts sounds strange to me (and therefore I would have noted it).

<< Sal: Do you think I should buy this coat?

AEers???? >>

Yes, that would be "fit", again according to my rule that the coat isn't doing anything and therefore there is no action.

This sentence, on the other hand, is much more interesting:

<< Before he lost weight, the jacket (had) fitted him. >>

I would interpret this as meaning "the jacket suited him" -- that is, it looked appropriate on him, not that it physically fit him. This does violate my rule, and I wouldn't say it that way myself... but if another speaker said it, that's how I might interpret it, especially if the context were more ambiguous than this.

Incidentally, this usage *might* have been what my mother was thinking of when she suggested that the sentence "the hat fitted me well" sounded OK.

- Kef
M56   Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
<<< Sal: Do you think I should buy this coat?

AEers???? >>

Yes, that would be "fit", again according to my rule that the coat isn't doing anything and therefore there is no action.>

Now how do you know which meaning of "i think it fit" is being used? there?

Could be this one:

I think it fit that you marry her.
M56   Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:12 pm GMT
<<< Sal: Do you think I should buy this coat?
Mal: Yes. I think it fit that you buy it.
Pos   Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
Good one, M56.

Same here...

"I do not conform to party lines, nor do I think it fit to presume I would be a democrat or republican."
Guest   Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
自作自演は気持ち悪い。
Dorky   Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 pm GMT
<Guest Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
自作自演は気持ち悪い。 >

Thanks for the input.

;-)
Guest   Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:09 am GMT
Is this sentence ambiguous?

"I want to buy a new suit, but I don't think it fit."
M56   Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:20 am GMT
<Is this sentence ambiguous?

"I want to buy a new suit, but I don't think it fit." >

Robber! Get yer own sentence!
Pos   Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:22 am GMT
<Robber! Get yer own sentence!>

Is "yer" proper English?
M56   Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:25 am GMT
<Is "yer" proper English? >

You surprise me, Pos. It's proper if you want it to be. Ask Travis, Bebeficii and Kef if you don't believe me.
GAE Speaker   Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:42 am GMT
<<Or of course the literal action of adjusting the fit of clothing, or being fitted for a suit. >>

Yes, and also in a case like:

"The steam pipes were fitted with insulating sheaths."

In this case, the sheath is like the suit