French or Italian?

Suomi   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
Suomea!!!
K. T.   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:53 pm GMT
There are no double vowels in Italian, only double consonants (try ano [anus] and anno [year]).-Tiffany

Actually I was thinking about just this example, but (lol) hesitated to write it. It's important for opera singers to be careful about this in the opera "Turandot", for example. (I hope that this thread won't be deleted because I mentioned the word "opera".)

I also was sceptical about the "double vowels"; first, I thought "oh, double consonants", but then I read it again. Then I thought maybe the guest meant two vowels together and still it didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I don't think double consonants are a big problem once someone explains this to a student or singer.
Guest   Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:00 pm GMT
Every Italian or Spanish speaker can understand and communicate with French with elementary basis, then know french well is ANOTHER thing-Guest

Hmmm. I'm not sure that I agree with that part about "every" speaker. It seems to me that most speakers of Spanish can understand some Italian, but not French. I pretty sure my SIL can't understand French (she's a native speaker of Spanish) and I'll bet this is true for most of her family.
toxin   Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:30 am GMT
guest, it's favolosa not fabulosa and although spanish and italian are gramatically similar and to a lesser extent vocabularally similar french and italian are actually closer in vocabulary here are some examples. first italian / french / english

mangiare/manger/to eat
parlare/parler/to speak
piu'/plus/more
bisogno/besoin/need
fratello/frere/brother
sorella/sore (or something like that)/sister
ancora/encore/still/again
troppo/trop/too much
trovare/trouver/to find
there's probably more
ccc   Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:33 am GMT
adolfo well actually in italian its spelled 'ricco'