How to call a baby?

Franco   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:36 am GMT
A woman was surprised that I call a baby "it". Why?
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:38 am GMT
Women tend to think about babies as persons; therefore he or she would be apropriate.
beneficii   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:47 am GMT
Though calling babies "it" is not necessarily wrong....
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:33 am GMT
It's wrong! You must ask if it's a boy or a girl if you're not sure, but never call it it.
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:42 am GMT
You just called it "it" yourself. Was that intentional?
M56   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:43 am GMT
<It's wrong! You must ask if it's a boy or a girl if you're not sure, but never call it it. >

You're wrong. For example, if you don't know the sex of and unborn child, what would you call that child?
Franco   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:31 am GMT
Another person has told me it's ok, for example, if you hate the babies and think of as little horrids. That is my case, so I will follow this advice.
Dawie   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:40 am GMT
It's quite simple...you can't refer to a human being as "it" in the English language whether it's a baby or not. Forget about the sensitivities of the mother, it's just simply grammatically incorrect.
M56   Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 pm GMT
<Another person has told me it's ok, for example, if you hate the babies and think of as little horrids. That is my case, so I will follow this advice. >

Good advice. In fact, my mother-in-law sometimes refers to me as "it" whenever she's angry with me.

;-)
M56   Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:07 pm GMT
<It's quite simple...you can't refer to a human being as "it" in the English language whether it's a baby or not. Forget about the sensitivities of the mother, it's just simply grammatically incorrect. >

It's obvious that you are not a native speaker.
furrykef   Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
I've seen babies referred to as "it", but it may be inappropriate if the sex of the baby is known. The same applies to animals, but to a lesser degree, since they're not human. It probably wouldn't be wise to refer a woman's own child as "it", even if you don't know the baby's sex.

- Kef
Skippy   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:03 pm GMT
If the sex of the baby is known, "it" would sound somewhat disrespectful. This can also be the case with pets... I get irritated when people refer to my chinchilla (HE is awesome) as an "it". I give people three strikes, then I sick him on the perpetrator.
beneficii   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
If you're talking about a baby in general, using "it" is fine and grammatically correct and in common practice, even if you don't notice it. As for an older human, that is different.
beneficii   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:16 pm GMT
To clarify, I mean "babies in general."
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:22 pm GMT
<As for an older human, that is different. >

I dunno, Benny, each time you post I say "It has submerged".