It sounds weird....

Wasee   Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 pm GMT
Hi,it sounds weird but I have wonder what is the informal word for the dirt that accumulates in the corner of the eyes when we are tired or when we get wake up from sleep?
Jim H.   Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
"sleep" is what I call it. People get sleep in their eyes.
RalphZ   Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:38 pm GMT
u gotta be kidding me Jim, u can put "sleep" in your eyes? where are you from?

I call it eye-discharge for the eyes, earwax for the ear, snot/booger(snivel, nasal mucus in formal) for the nose.

PS: by the way, which verb will you use to describe the situation when a lot of dried eye-discharge is there? accumulate? it's soooo odd, normally I just say "u got eye-discharge there" Iv nerver thought about it...
Jim H.   Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 pm GMT
<<u gotta be kidding me Jim, u can put "sleep" in your eyes? where are you from?>>

Alabama, USA.
beneficii   Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13 pm GMT
"I got sleep in my eyes" doesn't sound weird at all. It seems a bit of a strange construction, because of the word _sleep_ being used, but that is what is used to describe that stuff. I know it by no other name.
K. T.   Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:41 pm GMT
They are called "sleepies" and no, I am not making up that word. There are other terms, but that one is inoffensive enough to share.
RalphZ   Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
I confess... I wasn't born in Canada, but I call it eye-discharge all the time... it's really hard to pretend you are a native-born native speaker, but id never heard it b4 really, is any body from Ottawa has ever heard about it? cuz people around me they never told me when I was talking about eye-discharge stuff.

Im disappointed about myself... Ill go back home right now and kill myself with my samurai sword.
K. T.   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:08 am GMT
You'd kill yourself over "eye crust" or "eye crud"?

Sleepie. Sleepie. Sleepie.
beneficii   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 am GMT
K. T.,

I've never heard "sleepie." Only "sleep."
Guest   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:25 am GMT
Beneficii et al,

Here's an address for you describing this very subject. "Sleep" or "Sleepies" is what I've heard in my Southern State.
K. T.   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:27 am GMT
Aie, K. T. done made that ther' last post.
K. T.   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 am GMT
There is even a MAP for this.

Try this address. "Sleepy" is the singular, sorry.

Dang, the map shows EXACTLY where I've lived and why I use this word!
K. T.   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:33 am GMT
Let's see,

I have heard: Sleepies, Sleepy, Eye crud, Eye junk, crud, and Sleepy bugs.

I almost "bust out" laughing when I read some people call them "cracklings", that reminds me of a food eaten by some in the South.
RalphZ   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 am GMT
then u must be a native born guy... I think I should go back to Vancouver... the Asian city...

Id been calling your "sleep" as "eye-discharge" for almost 15 years! I must have been stupid...just several days ago I told my buddy "hey u got eye-discharge there" and he knew! they must laugh at me all the time, I gotta kill

bobobobobobobobobobobobo, finally I know, it's called "sleep"... thank you Wasee, otherwise I would say "eye-discharge" for another 15 years probably.
K. T.   Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:35 am GMT
Oh yeah, I've heard "sleep" too.

If ya ain't got a word for this, you certainly have a choice now.