Language Organizations

True Information   Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:36 am GMT
It's the Instituto Cervantes that is having a problem Johnny/Sammy because nobody is interested in Spanish language except ofr entertainment not for KNOWLEDGE and LEARNIG.

These are the offices of the organizations count them and Alliance Française and Goethe Institute have more offices.

Alliance Française:
- 131 countries
- 800 Alliance Française
- 399,346 Students
- 1075 Comités
* Just click the map and you'll see the
* In China and India more or less 10 offices while IC has only 1.
http://www.alliancefr.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=23

Goethe Institute:
http://www.goethe.de/ins/wwt/sta/enindex.htm

Instituto Cervantes:
- Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, New Delhi, Beijing, and Jakarta are the only cities where IC has an office.
- In the Middle East, office.
- In Europe 12 offices
- In North America just 5. 1 in Canada in Calgary.
In Africa just 10 offices with no office in Sub-Saharan Africa not even in South Africa.
- In Latin America, just 5 offices and all of them are in Brazil.
http://www.cervantes.es/seg_nivel/mundo/Marcos_mundo_principal.jsp.

STOP USING THE ENGLISH SPEAKING WORLD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO BE YOUR PARTNERS. I'M SURE THAT THE ENGLISH SPEAKING WORLD ARE MUCH, MUCH, MUCH HAPPIER TO SEE THE FRENCH LANGUAGE AS THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT THAN SPANISH EVEN IF THERE EXIST A LOVE&HATE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THEM AND THE FRENCH SPEAKING WORLD. YOU GOT THAT. SO STOP INSISTING YOUR SPANISH TO GROUP OF PEOPLE IF YOU'RE NOT SURE THAT THEY WILL READILY ACCEPT YOU AS PARTNERS. WHAT A PITY AND EMBARASSING PREUMPTION OF YOURS.
Also true information   Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:50 am GMT
Yes. All you said is true. And what is telling us Johnny is also true. Alliance has a lot of offices because in them you can learn English, Spanish and perhaps French. In some of them you can see interesting pictures or French draws, but the real tendency is that nobody study French.

Yes. You have more offices around the world because you started building offices before the Spaniards and the Hispanics, but now they build very much offices every year. It is not the best moment for French.

Finally, the English Speaking World are practical people. For instance, Americans studied French a lot of time ago, and they changed fast.

Nowadays, they study Spanish, of course. Perhaps, in the near future, in USA and UK people are going to start Chinese at schools. That´s not partnership, friendship or something else. It is only to have a practical very spoken language to offer.
Ornella   Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:10 am GMT
Yes. All this situation is due to the strengh of English language. In the European Union all people (Czech Rep., Sweden, Netherlands, etc) don´t study German or French, they study English to understand each other.

Spanish, Chinese, Arabic and Russian have a different situation. In Latin America, China, Arabic world and former U.S.S.R, English is not official and it is not very studied like in the European Union. So, these languages are not worried about the power of English.

German, French and Hindi have an important problem: English is official in European Union and also in India. When the most important language is official in a multicultural area, English always win.
Jan   Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:40 am GMT
That´s right. I work in an Export Department. We send e-mails and faxes only in English to all Europe (including Germany and France).

We use Spanish to talk to Latin America and Chinese to China (we have a Spaniard and a Chinese in the Dpt.) The fourth language is Russian (sometimes we hire a translator to go to the former U.S.S.R.). German and French are not used.
True Information   Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:38 am GMT
<< Yes. All you said is true. And what is telling us Johnny is also true. Alliance has a lot of offices because in them you can learn English, Spanish and perhaps French. In some of them you can see interesting pictures or French draws, but the real tendency is that nobody study French.

Yes. You have more offices around the world because you started building offices before the Spaniards and the Hispanics, but now they build very much offices every year. It is not the best moment for French.

Finally, the English Speaking World are practical people. For instance, Americans studied French a lot of time ago, and they changed fast.

Nowadays, they study Spanish, of course. Perhaps, in the near future, in USA and UK people are going to start Chinese at schools. That´s not partnership, friendship or something else. It is only to have a practical very spoken language to offer.
>>

Then why did you lie that many AF and Goethe Institute offices are closing down? Another reason why there are far fewer IC offices around the globe it's because it has no budget and even if their marketing strategy is well developed they will have a hard time marketing the Spanish language because French and German are more prestigious and practical than Spanish and most people are aware of that. So IC is no match to AF and Goethe Institute. Not even the British Council and Jefferson Cultural Center are ale to compete with the two.

Who told you that AF is teaching English and Spanish. No they don't. The truth is AP is offering German language courses much as Goethe Institute offers French language course. You're information that you posted in here is baseless again.

Right, the Americans are practical people that's why according to several links here with "Why Study French", most of the companies with job openings, require French more than the combined job opportunities that require Russian, German, Chinese, Spanish, etc. combined.

I don't think that Spanish and Chinese will rise displace French. Just take a look at the status of Japanese, lots of Americans studied it but they lost interest. The situation of Chinese will be same as that and it won't be taken seriously because Westerners are not attracted to Chinese culture as much as they are not attracted to Hispanic culture. Language and culture are intertwined with each other.

French is the second most popular foreign language in China and very well studied in its universities then comes Japanese, German and Russian.

On the other hand I learned that those who take Spanish in the US as second language are the 3rd generation descendants of Hispanic immigrants and only a few are Anglo-Saxon. Nobody wants to study Spanish because the Spanish speaking world doesn't possess knowledge in science, technology, medicine, mathematics, arts, engineering and other fields like French, German, Russian, and Italian.

I REPEAT A.F. AND GOETHE INSTITUTE DON'T OFFER ENGLISH AND ESPECIALLY SPANISH BUT JUST FRENCH AND GERMAN.
Invitado   Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 am GMT
Tranquilo, no te pongas nervioso, francés!!!

Piensa en tu tensión. Toma un poco de queso y lee el periódico la Vanguardia, de Barcelona. Es muy bueno. Sobre todo los márgenes al lado izquierdo.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20060711/51276206560.html

Es bonito que enseñeis español en Brasil. Haceis una bonita función educativa.

Gracias.
Invité   Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:34 am GMT
Invitado, you better clink these links:

Find out that there's only 1 IC office in China and that's Beijing while AF has more or less 10 in major cities and now you're bragging with newly opened and 1 and only office in that country while underestimating the long time AF and Coethe Institute offices in China.

Most Brazilians and even Catalonians prefer to use French over Spanish in international circles as can be seen in this dorum. The former find French more prestigious and practical and the latter have adverse feeling against the Spanish language and culture.
Invité   Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 am GMT
Invitado, you better click these links:

Find out that there's only 1 IC office in China and that's in Beijing while AF has more or less 10 in major cities and now you're bragging with newly opened and 1 and only office in that country while underestimating the long time AF and Goethe Institute offices in that country.

Most Brazilians and even Catalonians prefer to use French over Spanish in international circles as can be seen in this forum. The former find French more prestigious and practical and the latter have adverse feeling against the Spanish language and culture.
Guest   Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:59 am GMT
<< That´s right. I work in an Export Department. We send e-mails and faxes only in English to all Europe (including Germany and France). >>

But I also work in an Export Department and we also send e-mails and faxes in French only all over Europe including UK and Ireland.
Invitado   Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:01 am GMT
Well, you know, that French Government started building offices of Alliance a lot of time ago. So, there are more than Spanish offices. That´s right.

But nowadays, Spaniards and Hispanics build more offices every year. The demand is very important.

In Catalonia, people study English, not French. They speak a perfect Spanish, too, of course

Finally, Brazilian Government passed "the Spanish law" in 2005. So, Spanish will be compulsory at schools in Brazil in the near future, and Instituto Cervantes, the Spanish Government and... Alliance Francaise are teaching Spanish to a lot of teachers, because it is and will be an important language in this country.

P.D. If you want to be Spanish teacher in Brazil, you have a job tomorrow. They need a lot because of this law.
Invité   Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:15 am GMT
<< n Catalonia, people study English, not French. They speak a perfect Spanish, too, of course

Finally, Brazilian Government passed "the Spanish law" in 2005. So, Spanish will be compulsory at schools in Brazil in the near future, and Instituto Cervantes, the Spanish Government and... Alliance Francaise are teaching Spanish to a lot of teachers, because it is and will be an important language in this country. >>

Sure, no dispute. But they(Brazilians) still study French and proud to display their skills in it much more than Spanish. Brazilians will still speak Portuguese to Hispanics and Italians with Hispanized/Italianized pronunciation. The reason why they study Spanish is because they want to understand it further.

French is required in Brazil ans still is long before Spanish became a requirement.

As for Catalonia, French is required along with English as the rest of Spain. Most of them speak perfect French and far more perfect than English because their language is so similar to French than English. Example is Mallorqui.

<< Alliance Francaise are teaching Spanish to a lot of teachers, because it is and will be an important language in this country. >>

This is ridiculous. German is the other language that AF offers not Spanish and Goethe Institute offers German too. You fetch a very wrong information. As far as I know Instituto Cervantes offer English, French, German, Russian, and even Italian in countries where Spanish is virtually unknown because very few are interested to learn Spanish. Just to gain revenue for IC offices in order to survive.
Invitado   Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:42 am GMT
In Brazil, like in all the Americas, Spanish is first or second language.

Spanish is the lingua franca of all the continent, from USA to the Argentinian Antarctica. English is, of course, the second language of the Americas. But French is a minority language here.

I explained you that Alliance Francaise teach Spanish in Brazil if they don´t want to close. I gave you a webpage of La Vanguardia to read it. If you want to speak about Instituto Cervantes, you need to give me other webpages.

In Spain (Catalonia, Madrid, Valencia, etc) the foreign language at schools is English, not French.

P.D. It is better that you study Spanish and go to Rio or Sao Paulo to work as teacher, and don´t waste your time defending French.
Vytenis   Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:43 am GMT
I think every mosque is in a sense a representative of Arabic language and culture...
Invité   Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
Invitado

First of all the language of Brazil is Portuguese and not Spanish. Actually there are more native German and Italian speakers in Brazil than Spanish. Spanish speakers in the Brazil tend to be absorbed by the Portuguese sepaking people. Nowadays, one cannot see traces of Spanish language in Brazil except of course tourists coming from Spanish speaking counyries. So top lying because Portuguese speaking Brazil is not a subordinate of Spnish speaking World. They would be much happier to be part of the French speaking world. If you don't believe me ask the opinions of the Portugueses and the Brazilians.

i work as a part-time French Instructor in an Alliance Française and I know very well that the information posted by Instituto Cervantes that AF will teach French in Brazil found on IC web is not true. French is very much popular in Brazil and there is no sign that it would die there. Majority of the Brazilians speak English or French as their first foreign language not Spanish. Actually IC is offering English, French, German, and Italian in countries where Spanish is not opular just to generate income to survive such as in India or China.

<< In Spain (Catalonia, Madrid, Valencia, etc) the foreign language at schools is English, not French. >>

Again it shows that you're really lack knowledge. In Spain, English and French are require in secondary schools and French is most popular in Basque region, Galicia as well as Catalonia that's why many Catalonians choose to speak French in international cirlcles than Spanish.

Again Mallorqui is one example, he writes most of his messages in this forum in French. So, you're the one who has to stop defending Spanish becasue it is even hated by Catalonians which is an integral part of Spain. Why can't you accept that reality?
Invitado   Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:11 pm GMT
Brazil has Brazilian Portuguese as mother tongue, of course. That´s right. But the foreign languages are English and Spanish. "The Spanish law" passed in 2005, makes Spanish official in schools. French is a minority language.

I read in a web of La Vanguardia, I don´t know if that it is true or not, that in Alliance you teach Spanish. If you say that they are liars I don´t care, but they have very good lawyers. You choose.

You say that some Catalonians hate Spanish language. Well, I say that it is true (only some of them, of course). But, I can assure you that they don´t like too much the French. In France, the French Government don´t defend other regional languages. People from Catalonia know that.

Anyway, French language is also a minority foreign language in Spain. Almost everybody study English. After English, you can choose French, German or Italian. The last three are minority languages.

Once again, if you know that IC teach English or French, you need to tell us the webpage. I only know that French Alliance teach Spanish, because they don´t want to close in Brazil:

http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20060711/51276206560.html