Baltic languages

Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 am GMT
I think this is the future of English. People, even knowing it, will have hate for it and not admit it, eventually it will be forgotten.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:12 am GMT
Common you Baltics! Only a small percentage speak good English. I heard many of you "I talk English" instead of "I speak English".

I'm so sure that Liths and Latvians will have little difficulty handling Russian because the grammar are almost identical and they always hear it.

As for you Native Korean, not everybody in the world are like Koreans who go gaga over English and spend huge large sum of money and much time just to say that they are seroius with English and when they are about to converse in English, they don't even know when to use am , is, are, was, were etc. the very basics of English.

Koreans are more fluent in Japanese than in English and just like the Balts they deny it.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:14 am GMT
Correction:

Koreans are more fluent in Japanese than in English and just like the Balts they deny they speak Russian like their native language.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:47 am GMT
Koreans are more fluent in Japanese? Hmmm. Any of the languages below will be okay.
Thanks.

English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, Occitan, Catalan, Portuguese or German.

If you have another source, let me know what language it is.
Native Korean   Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:56 am GMT
<Koreans are more fluent in Japanese than in English and just like the Balts they deny they speak Russian like their native language.>

That's not true. Koreans may learn Japanese easier and faster than English, but that doesn't mean the ordinary people in Korea speak Japanese better than English.

Korea was under Japanese rule from 1910 to 1945 and only the people who grew up in those era know how to speak Japanese. (i.e. my grandparents generations)
My parents were born in 1950s and both of them have master's degrees which means they are highly educated people in Korea. But neither of them can read/speak even a word of Japanese.
Well, I myself know how to speak Japanese since I learned it at a high school as a second foreign language. I can say Japanese was much easier to learn (except for Kanji) but still, I speak English better than Japanese and so do most people.

I believe Latvians and Lithuanians who were born after 1980s don't speak Russian that well since the schools do not teach Russian anymore.
Only the people who were educated in the Soviet Union era know how to speak Russian.

Take a look at an example of Netherland!
Netherland is located right next to Germany and Dutch language is closer to German language. However, that doesn't mean Dutches are more fluent in German than English. huh?
Babel   Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:11 am GMT
Well, if you are Korean (isolate language, neutral) which is the most difficult language for you? (if you can order, it will be better)

Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, English, Arabic.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:43 pm GMT
The truth is Russian is still taught in Baltic schools. But no longer the only language, English, French, and German were introduced too.

In the Netherlands, English, French, and German are compulsory in schools. It would be more easier for the Dutch to learn
German than English because Dutch is closer to English. have you heard them speak English and German? See the difference!
Native Korean   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:18 pm GMT
<Well, if you are Korean (isolate language, neutral) which is the most difficult language for you? (if you can order, it will be better)
Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, English, Arabic.>

Probably, Arabic would be the most difficult language for Koreans.
I've only learned English and Japanese so far. So I don't know exactly about the other languages.
Well, Japanese is definitely the easiest.
Chinese is harder than Japanese but we share lots of vocabulary which makes the language easier to learn. (Still, it's not that easy =()
I heard Spanish is not as difficult as German or French.
English is okay too.
In terms of Arabic, grammar is totally different, their characters look the same to me and phonology is very different.

P.S. Turkish is somewhat similar to Korean in terms of grammar even though the countries are located distantly. That's interesting!
Vytenis   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
Russian is no longer compulsory in Lithuanian schools. Some students study English and German for example. It is true that relatively few Lithuanians are fluent in English, but that is also true of many other countries like Poland, Portugal or Italy. Do you mean to say that they all speak English very well? LOL It is true that many Lihuanians dislike Russian and regard it as a lagacy of Soviet occupation when Russian language and Communist Russian "culture" were force-fed to us. How much would you love something that was shoved down your throat??? However, nowadays still most people who grew up and were educated during the Soviet times could speak or at least understand Russian. Younger generation is much less fluent in it, but some could still undestand Russian or at least give directions in the street in it for example.
Vytenis   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
K.T.
In Lithuanian many masculine nouns have endings -as and feminines have endings -a. I do not know how much it is connected to Latin endings. These are Indo-european languages so I guess there might be...
Vytenis   Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
Latvietis,
I do not know any links, sorry. You can try downloading Pimsleur Lithuanian course.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:30 pm GMT
Thanks, Vytenis.
Donal Bergin   Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:28 pm GMT
I might go to Vilnius for a holiday.However,I am worried that I will not
be able to communicate.Can most people speak some English ?
guest   Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 pm GMT
<<P.S. Turkish is somewhat similar to Korean in terms of grammar even though the countries are located distantly. That's interesting!>>

That is because, unlike the post citing Korean as a language isolate, Korean and Turkish are both Altaic languages, both having originated in nearly the same area in north central Asia...one group went east...the other west
K. T.   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:00 am GMT
I don't think it's an isolate. That's an older theory. I listened to Korean for fun with Rosetta Stone and within minutes I found myself making the connections to Japanese grammar and intuitively understanding how things worked.