Lexical Similarities Between Latin & It's Romance Langua

Rolando   Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:00 am GMT
What are they...? Do they even exist...? out of all the romance languages which are closer to latin in ranking order...?

Thanks
han   Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 am GMT
Wow...
Well, you do know that Latin was the language of the Roman Empire, and that Romance languages descend from Latin, right?

Also, Latin is still the official language of the Vatican City and was always related to the Catholic church and to priests in some extent... the mass used to be held only in Latin not a long time ago...

I'm sorry, but I don't know which one of the Romance languages is the closest to Latin, as they were influenced by different people and circumstances, and developed in different ways... Maybe Italian?
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:33 am GMT
"the mass used to be held only in Latin not a long time ago..."

Mass in Latin has been reintroduced by the current Pope Benedict XVI. That is to say Latin mass can be heard once more at church, especially if you ask your local priest and demand it.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/40502.html

"out of all the romance languages which are closer to latin in ranking order...?"

All the Romance languages are close enough to be Latin, however, some possess unique traits.
Adolfo   Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 am GMT
According to Wikipedia:

<< ... Se puede dar aquí los resultados de un estudio realizado por M. Pei en 1949, que compara el grado de evolución de las diversas lenguas respecto a su lengua madre; para las lenguas románicas más importantes, si sólo se consideran las vocales tónicas, se obtiene, respecto al latín, los siguientes coeficientes de evolución:

* sardo: 8%;
* italiano: 12%;
* español: 20%;
* rumano: 23,5%;
* occitano: 25%;
* portugués: 31%;
* francés: 44%.
...>>
han   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:31 pm GMT
<<Mass in Latin has been reintroduced by the current Pope Benedict XVI. That is to say Latin mass can be heard once more at church, especially if you ask your local priest and demand it.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/40502.html >>

That is not what is written in the article at all... The Pope is encouraging future priests to study the Latin language so they can use it in the future while celebrating the mass...

I can't demand anything from my local priest since he doesn't speak the language and also obeys to higher entities.
Actually, I really doubt all churches, everywhere and on a regular basis, start celebrating the mass in Latin again. The religion isn't exactly "popular" right now, if I can say it that way, and this is just another conservative idea...
han   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:34 pm GMT
Adolfo,

so that means Sardo is the language that less evolved phonologically, and so the one closest to Latin?
Adolfo   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
Yes, Sardinian is the less evolved romance language. The reason may be the typical isolation of peoples living in islands.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
To Han:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1641008,00.html?xid=rss-world&iid=sphere-inline-bottom

"Actually, I really doubt all churches, everywhere and on a regular basis, start celebrating the mass in Latin again. The religion isn't exactly "popular" right now, if I can say it that way, and this is just another conservative idea... "

It's the most popular and worshipped one, circa 1 billion. Protestantism and its denominations are dwindling in the Nordic countries and in the U.S. etc.

Benedict himself has said, "Latin-american is the savior of catholicism" because many followers stem from there. Protestantism in Latin-america is highly unpopular, because it doesn't function / attract well in those third-world countries.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:13 pm GMT
Sardinian "loguorese / nuoro" that is, are the most conservative to latin's phonemics.
han   Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 am GMT
<<It's the most popular and worshipped one, circa 1 billion. Protestantism and its denominations are dwindling in the Nordic countries and in the U.S. etc.

Benedict himself has said, "Latin-american is the savior of catholicism" because many followers stem from there. Protestantism in Latin-america is highly unpopular, because it doesn't function / attract well in those third-world countries.>>

Well, when I said "isn't exactly "popular" right now", I didn't mean among religions, but between older and younger generations.
I was also referring more to Europe. Think in Latin America will be even harder to widespread the celebration of the mass in Latin... but I don't know.

Thanks for the article!
Think it goes with what I was trying to say though.
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:26 am GMT
>>Well, when I said "isn't exactly "popular" right now", I didn't mean among religions, but between older and younger generations. <<

Among the youth, the Catholic church and Benedict XVI are gaining more and more respect and followers. Learning Latin in school has become quite popular in Germany
homo sapiens   Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am GMT
Wow...
Well, you do know that Latin was the language of the Roman Empire, and that Romance languages descend from Latin, right?

Latin has always been the Church language and it was the also the lingua franca for all the Middle Age and for centuries again (the use of Latin in Great Britain trial courts was abolihed only in 1733), it was also the language of elite and it's the language of science
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:46 am GMT
Does the Queen Elizabeth speaks Latin? I would like to speak some Latin with her while we drink some tea.
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
All the memebers of the British Royalty speak French fluently. It's unlikely that they're fluent in Latin.
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
When Prince Charles paid a visit to France he spoke French with the French head of state and other officials.