How do send a post?

nicolas   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 pm GMT
how do we send post? I wanted to contribute to the Marseillaise one, but there is no field.

Thank you
S   Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:05 pm GMT
The moderator speaks French, so that's obviously not true, the language that he hates the most is Spanish.
Nicolas   Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:46 pm GMT
Well languages and cultures are related, no? So, why deleting the field post? Even, if sometimes the argues are a little bet extreme, there are some interesting ones. If you speak about languages you speak about cultures.
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
Es que a nadie le importa la lengua francesa, así que te sería mejor olvidarla y echarte a aprender español. Los moderadores están tratando de ayudarte.
Gus   Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
Check out what Mallorquí wrote in the other thread

J'écris en français parce que c'est ma langue de sortie au grand monde. Je trouve que toute personne d'une culture moyenne devrait le parler ou, du moins, le comprendre et pouvoir le lire.

Guest, si no puedes entender esta oración, tu no tienes cultura. jejeje
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:44 pm GMT
Es que si uno sabe español, inglés, italiano, latín clásico y eclesiástico además de griego no puede decir que tenga cultura, le falta el francés y el catalán sobre todo. Por cierto, le voy a pedir a la hermana del que dice eso que me ayude con el francés y de paso el griego que flojeo un poco, así seré una persona culta de verdad.
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:08 pm GMT
I enjoy Mallorquí's well-reasoned posts (even though I'd prefer to see them in Catalan)... Actually, I'd prefer everyone to write in their native languages as often as possible here, because it's more fun and we learn more from each other by doing this.

I was a little surprised to see that comment about culture and was tempted to call my Mom and say, "Guess what, someone thinks I'm cultured just 'cause I know French...lol"
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:34 pm GMT
lol but this is how many people perceive it, especially the older generations...
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:38 pm GMT
In my country cultured people are supossed to know Latin. Maybe in Anglophone countries to learn Latin is in some way too much, and it is replaced by a easier language like French , which acts as the language of culture, but it is not perceived that way in countries more exposed to the Roman civilization.
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:51 pm GMT
Oh, I know that French used to be the language of culture. It still is, in a way, but I don't meet many people in my "neck of the woods" who can speak it well except for immigrants and native speakers, of course. For some of my older relatives, France still has a high cultural number.

French is still useful for those rare trips to fine restaurants, French opera, and certain areas (ballet, couture, wine)...so there is some truth to people being buttermilk...no, I mean having a modicum of culture if they speak French.
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:54 pm GMT
If someone knows Ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew, I think I would find them "cultured" even if they knew no French, but jmo.
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:18 am GMT
I think English speaker would be considered cultured to know ANY foreign language.
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:04 am GMT
Define "cultured"...no, please "don't". I'm so cultured, my first name should be "Kefir"...

Guest, knowing a foreign language does not make one cultured. Knowing art, opera and cuisine well does not make one cultured. It's very difficult to be "cultured"...

I'd rather know someone who was monolingual, but compassionate, well-mannered and polite, than someone who was merely cultured.

Hermann Goering was cultured...

If you don't understand this fully, please think about it.
furrykef   Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:34 am GMT
<< I enjoy Mallorquí's well-reasoned posts (even though I'd prefer to see them in Catalan)... Actually, I'd prefer everyone to write in their native languages as often as possible here, because it's more fun and we learn more from each other by doing this. >>

Mm, I disagree. I can't understand any posts that aren't written in English or Spanish. (Well, I could probably understand Ladino, but nobody writes in that.) Writing in a foreign language just puts up obstacles for people who don't already speak that language. I'm not saying that people here should never do it, but they should bear that in mind. Remember, the primary purpose of language is communication, and there's no point in trying to communicate if your target audience won't understand your language. Which is why I hate it when greg addresses me in French even though he knows damn well I can't read it.

- Kef
guesti   Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:37 am GMT
Kef, if you know Spanish, getting at least a basic understanding of French posts should not be that hard.