How do send a post?

K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 am GMT
Kef,

I understand your point of view from my imperfect understanding of the rules of American etiquette. In other words, by rules I KNOW, you are correct. It is not appropriate to address someone intentionally in a language they don't understand without an interpreter (or a translation)...Even if you didn't have etiquette as a back-up, your point of view is reasonable.

In this forum we can use any language we choose, though. I like that, I like seeing other languages and how people express their thoughts.

Mallorquí seems to indicate that he is not fully comfortable writing in English. He can write to you in Spanish, though. Have you tried reading his posts in Catalan? I can get about 90 to 95% of the content and I've never studied it. Kef, you are bright; I think you can read the posts too.

Greg indicated in a post to you that he can handle Spanish. (I don't remember which language he used to tell you, though...lol) Ask him to write to you in Spanish, then.

Always, jmo
Xie   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:59 am GMT
Sorry for disrupting, here is my $.02:

I would prefer writing posts bilingually when allowed/encouraged. But here, I won't ever post in Chinese because no one would understand - and due to laziness, I write very little/no Chinese even in forums where 99.9% members are my compatriots.

Indeed, these days, if I write, I would use English exclusively in language forums... let me tell you that, though typing Chinese is easy after you know the script and the input methods, it can still be sometimes tedious. And worse still, (off-topic) we Chinese are lacking really good forums where people discuss language very seriously, ranging from academic discussions (linguistics/philology...) to practical learning (how to deal with pronouns, cultural concepts, grammatical complexities)...

Well, that may be my own problem. I just know, like here, posting in English can let everyone understand you. :P
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:33 am GMT
Creo que todos deben escrivir en español.
furrykef   Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:12 am GMT
<< Creo que todos deben escrivir en español. >>

But not correctly, apparently. (It's "escribir".)
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:09 am GMT
<<<Define "cultured"...no, please "don't". I'm so cultured, my first name should be "Kefir"...

Guest, knowing a foreign language does not make one cultured. Knowing art, opera and cuisine well does not make one cultured. It's very difficult to be "cultured"...

I'd rather know someone who was monolingual, but compassionate, well-mannered and polite, than someone who was merely cultured.

Hermann Goering was cultured...

If you don't understand this fully, please think about it.>>>

Don't get so philosophical. I was using word 'cultured' in the same way the people were using it for talking about French being the most 'cultured' language. Cultured in appearance, and considered cultured by most people. Of course, it could all just be a front but that's beside the point.

The truth is, an English speaker will be just as impressed by someone speaking any foreign language (a native English speaker), as it's not common, and will CONSIDER him 'cultured', even if in reality he's a bastard.
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
I'm afraid that I disagree with you, Guest, that a native English speaker speaking ANY foreign language would be considered "cultured"...

Perhaps this would be true in England, but I don't think it's terribly true in the USA.

Maybe the person would be considered "open-minded" or more "culturally sensitive", though.

I don't think people are so impressed by others speaking Spanish (in the USA), however, they probably would still be impressed by good French.

So, in this way, yes. There is an illusion, a front, that people who speak French are "cultured".
K. T.   Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:25 am GMT
Mallorquí,

Please continue to post here in any language you choose.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:31 am GMT
<< Creo que todos deben escrivir en español. >>

Keep on dreaming because Spanish is not the preferred language for international communications.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:36 am GMT
Hispanics in this thread are so furious because Mallorquí who comes from Spanish Catalonia chose to write his messages in French than in Castellano.

What's the big fuss. Doesn't he have the to choose the language tthat he prefer?

It's a suppression of civil liberties of the Hispanics force him to write in Castellano.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:38 am GMT
The Hispanics argue that French is even a larger symbol of the suppression of regional languages than Spanish is, however, I have a feeling that they say that based on stereotypes which they did not bother to research.
nico   Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:11 am GMT
The spanish and the french have known a different story : One is a republic which needed to be unified if it didn't want to be in war itself (the France). Being french does not mean you have some french blood or something like that. Being french means you speak a common language and agree with the republican way. The spanish had franco, have a king so is not a Republic, are divided bteween themselves.

different ways
Guest   Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:24 pm GMT
Mallorqui is not from Catalonia, but from Majorca. In Majorca there is a political movement supported by a small amount of freaks which claims that the provinces of Spain where Catalan is spoken (Catalonia, Mallorca and Valencia) should unite . But mainstream people do not want this in Majorca and reject that. I agree that he can speak in the language he wants, I'm hispanic and accept that but I highly suspect he chooses French because his resentment against the Spanish culture, this is just my suspicion but it has high probabilities of being true given some things he said, and believe me, I've met that kind of radical people in Catalonia (I'm from Zaragoza, not very far away) and he must be one of them.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:17 pm GMT
Guest, "maño", veig que ets policia, o policia/inquisidor.

Quina ràbia, quina fúria, oi? que refusi d'escriure en la "lengua del Imperio".

Esper de poder escriure en anglès ben prest. Però serà sempre per voluntat i tria meva. I, si és en sànscrit, en sànscrit serà.

De moment, ja sé dir "my taylor is rich".

Très souvent je pense que nous sommes un caillou dans les chaussures des espagnols et des français (ou, comme disent les espagnols, "un grano en el culo"). Et c'est bien comme ça. C'est amusant de voire les réactions des uns et des autres.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:28 am GMT
Mallorquí,

Je pense que tu sombres dans le délire. Je suis moi même d'origine catalane, et je peux t'assurer que les français catalans ne se considèrent absolument pas comme un caillou pour leurs compatriotes. a connaissance de la France me semble limitée. Et ne viens pas servir ta soupe comme quoi tu connais des catalans français. Quant aux espagnols catalans, la plupart des français ne sentent pas concernés par leur histoire quine regarde bien entendu qu'eux et ne remet en aucun en cause la statut de qui que ce soit en FrancE.

La france n'est pas le seul pays à avoir mené une politique d'uniformisation de la langue. Dois je te préciser, que l'Irlande, le Pays de Galles et l'Ecosse (surtout) parlent anglais?? et ce depuis bien longtemps.