Language of Europe

European   Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:54 pm GMT
Shouldn't English soon become the one and only official language of the European administration. Why still translate all the documents into French or any other languages?
Mallorquí.   Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:15 pm GMT
Saluton,

Est-ce que quelqu'un pense à l'esperanto comme solution?

Moi, je le parle et j'y comunique normalement avec pas mal de gens.

Je sais que, de la part de beaucoup de gens qui n'ont eu le moindre contact avec l'espéranto, il y a tendance a s'en moquer, à le considérer comme le rêve que quelques freaks.

C'est faux. L'espéranto couvre suffisamment et satisfaisamment les besoins de communication entre les peuples. Le seul problème pour sa diffusion est un problème politique. En effet, quand une langue naturelle s'impose comme moyen "neutral" de communication, cette imposition (même sans être obligatoire, même si elle a l'apparence de se faire tout doucement, d'une façon spontanée) favorise, de tous points de vie (culturel, économique, de mentalité) les gens et les nations qui l'ont comme langue propre. Et puis, quequ'un de moyennement doué pour les langues, l'apprend et le maîtrise en trois mois.

Pour ce qui est de l'Europe, les "grandes" nations avec des "grandes" langues (France, Allemagne, Espagne...) s'opposeront toujours à l'anglais comme langue officielle unique parce que cette officialité unique comporte bien d'autres privilèges pour les parlants de l'anglais; ils les met sur un plan de supériorité. Par conséquant, à mon avis le problème d'une langue neutrale de communications restera sans résoudre.

On pourrait en parler.

^Gis la revido.
Guest   Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:16 pm GMT
Because it's a matter of status and equality.

English language only represents the United Kingdom as French represents France, some parts of Belgium, Luxembourg and so on.

Politically, historically, and for many other reasons, the other countries could never accept English as the one and only official language of the European administration.
European   Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:54 am GMT
Mallorquí.:
"Pour ce qui est de l'Europe, les "grandes" nations avec des "grandes" langues (France, Allemagne, Espagne...) s'opposeront toujours à l'anglais comme langue officielle unique... "

Guest:
"Politically, historically, and for many other reasons, the other countries could never accept English as the one and only official language of the European administration. "

To my opinion, these statements are too generalizing: not ALL other countries could never accept English as the one and only official language, it is mainly France that is in opposition. For example, Germany and and many other European countries have no objection to use only English as a smallest common denominator. France seems to be hypersensitive to this question.
Guest   Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:45 am GMT
I agree with European. I find the attitude of France very egoistic, since French is spoken in many countries outside Europe, while German on the other hand is spoken only in Europe but they agree with establishing English as the official language of Europe. This would simplify things a lot in the Union and it would become stronger. What would had happen in US if the Dutch, Irish, Italian and German wanted to keep the status of their languages as ferociously as the French in the European Union? US would not be so great and powerful. In order to achieve great things everyone must cede in some aspects .
Guest   Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:36 pm GMT
<<What would had happen in US if the Dutch, Irish, Italian and German wanted to keep the status of their languages as ferociously as the French in the European Union? US would not be so great and powerful.>>

What are you talking about? It's hardly the same thing.

Smaller countries end up accepting the use of other languages, some closer to their own, but not just English.
And of course France won't accept it, have you looked at the relationships between those two countries??

Besides, English in Europe is not as important as it's in the rest of the world, there are still other priorities and stuff. I'm sorry if I can't explain it better, but that's the way it's.
Caspian   Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
Why should they accept English as the main language? How is English any better than all the other numerous languages spoken in Europe? Also, if a particular language is chosen, why on Earth should it be English? All languages are equally as usable. I am English, and, quite frankly, it gets quite tiring when the whole world know your language! Why can't we focus on something else? It is hardly "fair" to have English spoken everywhere, neither on the English or the non-English speakers. It is completely unbalanced.
Why don't we create a European language that all Europeans learn as a second language? Or, we could use one that already exists; perhaps it's time we kick-started Esperanto again.

Caspian
Guest   Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
Caspian, your argument was good till you mentioned 'create an new language' and 'esperanto'.
K. T.   Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:16 am GMT
Why not choose Latin again?
furrykef   Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:42 am GMT
Latin? Eugh. All its inconsistencies, like the various declensions, only complicate things for learners. Much better idea to adopt a cleaned-up Latin like Interlingua than the real thing.

- Kef
Guest   Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:51 am GMT
<<Why not choose Latin again?>>

Because most European countries aren't related to Latin... The problem would be the same.

Just let things be the way they are now.
Moreover, this thread isn't exactly language related; why is it still here when others were recently deleted for less?
K. T.   Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:42 am GMT
Latin has been used by educated people in many countries, not just Latin countries for years (even in former Communist countries)...
Milton   Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:36 am GMT
I agree, English should be used as the acrolect and mesolect in Europe,
local languages should be used in a basilectal way (spoken at home, but not at schools or in offices), that is English should be the lingua franca (as in India), and local languages should be dialects of tomorrow (spoken in informal situations)...
OïL   Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:30 am GMT
"I find the attitude of France very egoistic"
"it is mainly France that is in opposition. For example, Germany and and many other European countries have no objection to use only English "

Such arrogant and poorly informed statements are a major reason for rejecting English as a central language in Europe.
Oddly enough, English is generally backed by people who do nat have it as their mother-tongue.

I can't think of anything more contemptible than the arrogance of the slaves.
Guest   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 am GMT
<<Oddly enough, English is generally backed by people who do nat have it as their mother-tongue. >>

Yes, and oddly enough, it seems, by people who aren't even European.