Why people fail in learning a foreign language

Ahsan Rashid   Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:49 pm GMT
Most people trying to learn a foreign Language are eager to speak asap
and sometimes they forget that they have to learn a language before
they can speak it . When you speak you have to express your thougts
in the target language and you can not do it unless you have a good
vocabulary ( 1500 - 2000 words at least ) and understanding of the
structure of the language . Practice makes perfect applies to sports
where you know what you have to do and you perfect it by doing it .
In languages you have to know quite a bit before you can practice .
Practice is also a form of speaking . If you can not speak you can not
practice . How would you then learn if you can not practice . Frankly speaking Language schools are not answerable to any one .There sole pupose is to make money and by saying that you will be speaking from day one in your class they appeal better to their prospective customers . Reading is great way to improve your speaking abilities because it reinforces words and structures which enable you to recall them while you speak . Listening also helps a great deal . You speak when you have learned the language . You don't learn when you speak because speaking is an output activity . It can make you feel good but its not the most efficient learning activity .
furrykef   Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
I'm sorry, but your post isn't very readable. You don't need to hit 'enter' at the end of the line, it's not broken up into paragraphs, and you should not use spaces before periods or, for that matter, on the inside of parentheses. (Do it like this) ( not like this )

Using commas is a good idea, too.
Guest   Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:02 pm GMT
<<I'm sorry, but your post isn't very readable. You don't need to hit 'enter' at the end of the line, it's not broken up into paragraphs, and you should not use spaces before periods or, for that matter, on the inside of parentheses. (Do it like this) ( not like this )

Using commas is a good idea, too.>>

Ooooh, think you were the one who answered the question "Why people fail in learning a foreign language" ...

Ahsan, I'm sorry, but you probably are one of "those people trying to learn a foreign Language" that is "eager to speak asap and sometimes (...) forget that they have to learn a language before they can speak it".
Moreover, is there a discussion topic in this post?
Franco   Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:16 am GMT
Another thing which causes failure is the spending all the time discussing problems and difficulties and 'how to fix this' , how to fix everything, how to get practice etc, instead of actually practising.
K. T.   Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:25 am GMT
Indeed.
Herbist   Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:00 am GMT
Speaking helps a lot since it motivates. It is learning by doing - learning by reading manuals and books or listening to a teacher is useful, but not quite motivating.
Ahsan   Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:39 am GMT
What I am saying here is based on my own success . I speak five
languages fluently .
Guest   Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:04 pm GMT
Which ones Ahsan? How did you learn them?
Ahsan   Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:15 pm GMT
I grew with two Punjabi and Urdu I learned English , German and Spanish I even got a scholarship from Goethe Institut for learning German in Germany . Was speaking German on arriving in Germany
Guest   Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:06 pm GMT
Because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq82c8Baw
it is One Semester of Spanish - Love Song
What he says in spanish is said good.So he'd better sing this lyric only with his voice:
Just 4 voices / El Dia Que Me Quieras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BxdD1U8pKI
Or these other spanish love songs:
City of Angels spanish song version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDh79x-pAk
spanish love song for J/C.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xycluyAMkEg
Xie   Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:37 pm GMT
I even got a scholarship from Goethe Institut for learning German in Germany . Was speaking German on arriving in Germany

>> May I know how? :)
furrykef   Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
<< What I am saying here is based on my own success . I speak five
languages fluently . >>

Here's how to fail at learning a foreign langauge: ignoring advice. You just broke two rules I explained in my reply to you: don't break a line for no reason, and don't put a space before a period.

My first reply may have come off a bit harsher than I intended -- I certainliy didn't intend to set up the reply that Guest gave afterward -- and this one may seem a bit harsh as well, but I have to admit that this *is* a perfect example of what not to do.

- Kef
K. T.   Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:34 am GMT
But...but...Kef...

You spelled "language" in a new way.

That always happens to me as well...lol.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:59 am GMT
K.T., vju vjane kranii fla kjunulii!
furrykef   Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:23 am GMT
K. T. - yeah, I hate ironic typos like that too. But, of course, making a mistake in my post doesn't nullify my basic point. Moreover, even though I made a spelling mistake, my post was still readable...

- Kef