"Mind you"

abc   Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:48 pm GMT
"Mind you that at least some of us here are interested..."
Never have I come across the phrase "mind you" before. What does it imply?
ps Travis barred from here
Guest   Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:09 pm GMT
abc, use your dictionary first.

You use "mind you" to emphasize a piece of information that you are adding, especially when the new information explains what you have said or contrasts with it.

ex: You need a bit of cold water in there to make it comfortable. Not too cold, mind you.
DJ   Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:24 pm GMT
Mind you is said a lot in British English, but there is no "that" afterwards. It is usually used as the previous poster showed. But if you did have it at the beginning it would be like this: "Mind you, some of us are interested." It literally means "please note that", but is often not much stronger than a "however".

Do you fancy that bodybuilder?
No, not really. He hasn't got a very nice face. Mind you, his abs are fabulous! (or his abs are fabulous, mind you!)

The intonation pattern of a sentence beginning with mind you is different from one ending with mind you. In the latter, the mind you is said unstressed and quickly. In the former, it is said with emphasis to get their attention for what you are going to say.
Guest   Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
I don't usually say it, but I write it sometimes.

Travis barred? Oh, that's hilarious. Are you afraid that he'll ensmarten you? Don't look up "ensmarten", it's not a real word. I just made it up.
DJ   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:03 am GMT
I doubt he would ensmarten anyone as his usual line is in praise of dumbing down.
furrykef   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:38 am GMT
DJ, we could do without your needless insults.
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:02 am GMT
I think the reason that Travis is barred is that that quote came from one of Travis's posts.
abc   Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:00 pm GMT
Clarifications:
The first guest:
You asked me to use dictionary first.
Check this out:
http://www.reference.com/search?q=mind%20you&r=d&db=web

Now, how the hell is this supposed to help? For the billionth time, please, those that advocating using dictionaries, not with me, OK? It's getting irritating now. Nobody ever forces you to answer any of my questions.

To he last guest:
That's one reason, the other is because he'd act like a smart-ass without actually giving a useful answer.

To Furryket,
The moderator prolly removed DJ's insults, but I appreciate your post and behavior.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:45 pm GMT
"Mind you" simply means you must bear in mind some kind of alternative. It's very commonly used here in the UK.
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 pm GMT
From cambridge dictionary online which is advocated as well by Tom who is the creator of the site.

mind (you)
used when you want to make what you have just said sound less strong:
He's very untidy about the house; mind you, I'm not much better.
I know I'm lazy - I did go swimming yesterday, mind.
Guest two   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:41 pm GMT
Poor Furrykef! Why doesn't anyone bother to get his name right? It isn't that difficult!

Travis contributes here. We can all learn something from him.
Uriel   Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:35 pm GMT
"Mind you" is a very common phrase in all versions of English, abc, although you will encounter it more in the spoken word than the written, which is why it may be new to you.
Uriel   Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
If it sounds confusing, bear in mind (hah! pun intended!) that while the noun version of mind refers to the intangible mental construct of your brain (and some languages make no distinctions between mind and brain, but English does), the verb version means to pay attention to ("mind your P's and Q's" or "don't mind me!") or look after ("please mind the store while I'm at lunch" or "would you mind your sister tonight, since we can't find a babysitter?") . There is also a version that means to take offense to something ("I hope you don't mind, but I'm taking the last cupcake").

As for the "you" in "Mind you", that's an archaic remnant from the time when verb commands included the subject (sort of like the -te in "sientate" in Spanish); nowadays they are mostly implied and the you is not said. But in older texts you will often see odd phrases like "Look you well" instead of the more modern "look well"; phrases like "mind you" still keep that form as a holdover from that time.

Hope that helps.
furrykef   Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:50 am GMT
<< The moderator prolly removed DJ's insults, but I appreciate your post and behavior. >>

No, the post is still there. I was referring to the one immediately above, where DJ claimed that Travis's "usual line of praise is dumbing down". Saying that Travis favors "dumbing down" the English language seems pretty insulting to me.

<< Poor Furrykef! Why doesn't anyone bother to get his name right? It isn't that difficult! >>

Eh, I misspell it myself sometimes. ;) It's intentionally "correcting" my name that I cannot stand.

- Kef
K. T.   Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:24 am GMT
'"Mind you" simply means you must bear in mind some kind of alternative. It's very commonly used here in the UK.'

Good answer.