Spanish learning French, French learning Spanish

Güest   Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:04 am GMT
<< Many people in US really learn European Spanish. For example they are taught vosotros/tu, instead of vos , for example. >>

Many Americans who learn Spanish actually don't learn vosotros.
Tito   Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:16 am GMT
I'm hispanic, but thanks to my English I have a good French. I think English and French share a similar pronunciation of words, not pronouncing every letter like in Spanish and Italian.

I couldn't distinguish the difference between Du and De

pronunciation of Moyenne, ennuyer, nettoyer, etc...

Thanks to English understanding leur (their) was easy. this doesn't exist in Spanish.

I did not know when to use expressions of quantity for example, de la bière and la bière.

pronunciation of heureux.
mac   Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:13 pm GMT
<< Many people in US really learn European Spanish. For example they are taught vosotros/tu, instead of vos , for example. >>

Many Americans who learn Spanish actually don't learn vosotros. >>

We learn the vosotros form and where to use and not to use it. But it makes sense that we don't use it often because we are in North America. I was taught about the use of voseo as a side note.

Also, we are usually taught about the words for common nouns and verbs that you will find different between Spain and Latin America.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm GMT
What you say Mac corroborates my point of view, because if US education made such an emphasis on American Spanish, they should teach vos and ustedes and later explain the usage of tu/vosotros as a side note.