some languages more beautiful than others?

S.P.Q.R   Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
What about the logic that has latin got?
Verb at the end of the sentence hipotactic sentences construction , free word order and incisivity.
EX: Mutatis Mutandis, Changed the things that had to change, in only 2 word?
Or wat bout greek? So sweet sounding, so ductile, that can express every single sfumature of the mind..
EX: Kosmos epewn... I don't give the translation in english because its grammar is very reductive when exoressing the aspect of the action.....
Sheona   Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:39 pm GMT
Fascinating conversation you guys are having.

As a Brit brought up in France that has lived in Austria and Mexico, I've come to appreciate the sound and "modismos" of many different languages.

Austrian German has its charm, just as the pureness of high German satisfies the ear...

Initially I learnt Spanish Spanish, but after living in Mexico I became scathing of the Spanish lisp. And yes, the "J" in "Méjico" as pronounced by the Spaniards irritates me too. I also find that Spanish as spoken by the Spaniards can sound quite harsh and machine-gun-like. The Spaniards are also more vulgar that the Latin-Americans (classic example "Joder tio, que me cago en la leche"). Mexican modismos are definately the best and most elaborate...although I suppose they have a lot of swear words too ("qué pedo guey?..." "No mames cabron!").

Concerning Spain's Spanish though, I do think that when spoken by women, it can sound very beautiful. Just listen to Mecano, La Oreja de Van Gogh or Bebe and you'll see what I mean.

A bientôt!
hulloppl@hotmail.com   Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:25 pm GMT
Czech is beautifull........but dat languA.... is so hard I HAV MY table-...
i really dont like spanish cuz ..well my first languge is spanish but when i dont understand spanish (sometimes...when i wanna) is lil nais

1.papiamento
2.cezch
3.polish
4.russian
5.portugues
6.litalian
7.finnish
8.polinesian
JR   Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:01 am GMT
Interesting that you don't like Spanish but yet Portuguese is in your list as #5, and Italian as #6.

I don't really think that one language sounds more beautiful than another, it really depends on the accent. I think Italian sounds great, but Spanish in an Italian accent would sound just as fine.
Raoul Thierry de Rotschil   Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 pm GMT
I love Latin. It's nobleness, elegance, refinement. It's so different from the neo-latin languages like French, Italian etc. These are descendents of Vulgar Latin, so a sort of commoners' speak. Classical Latin has a certain elevation that I find sublime. Sure, it's quite complicated, but it worths the effort to learn it, because of the truly magical phrases you can express with it. Its case system is the embodiment of refinement. No 'useless' grammatical words like prepositions to explain relations between the semantic entities: it's just magical!
S.P.Q.R   Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:22 pm GMT
Raoul Thierry de Rotschil
I support your wiew at 110% latin is magical, latin is incisive, latin is sweet to hear.
But latin is very hard to get with, a least 5 years of liceo classico..
greg   Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:13 am GMT
Raoul Thierry de Rotschil : « No 'useless' grammatical words like prepositions to explain relations between the semantic entities: it's just magical! »

Ce qui est magique aussi, c'est ton ignorance du latin...

La <eo in urbem> = Fr <je vais en ville>
La <eo ad patrem> = Fr <je vais auprès de mon père>
La <ex illo die> = Fr <depuis ce jour-là>
La <ab urbe condita> = Fr <depuis la fondation de la ville>
La <uas ex auro> = Fr <un vase d'or>
La <ex senatus sententia> = Fr <conformément à l'avis du sénat>
La <cum magna uoluptate> = Fr <avec grand plaisir>

7 phrases — 7 prépositions (mots grammaticalement 'inutiles')
JR   Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:07 am GMT
Latin may have been noble and refined in the past, especially when compared to the competition it had (Germanic Tribal Languages, Gothic Local Tounges, and etc.) but I think that the Spanish and Italian are better. They have smoothed out some of the rougher soundings of Latin (such as us and um to O), which sounds alot better when using Laitn pronnounciations. (Pronnouncing "US" as "oos" instead of "ahs")
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:34 am GMT
Classical latin the mother language of all the Romance language is a beautiful language.

Castilian and Mexican Spanish & standard spanish are simply beautiful languages.

Italian is the language of love......I love this one.

English is a international language, the lingua franca. So I have to be conform with it. I do in another hand like it. Just not fond of it.

It's awkward how Latin was (use to) the "lingua franca" of europe or most of it. Thus, the civilized world. Now it still survives thru the neo=latin tongues and thru science and American English etc. Respectively.
S.P.Q.R   Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:53 am GMT
Greg Said:
Ce qui est magique aussi, c'est ton ignorance du latin...

La <eo in urbem> = Fr <je vais en ville>
La <eo ad patrem> = Fr <je vais auprès de mon père>
La <ex illo die> = Fr <depuis ce jour-là>
La <ab urbe condita> = Fr <depuis la fondation de la ville>
La <uas ex auro> = Fr <un vase d'or>
La <ex senatus sententia> = Fr <conformément à l'avis du sénat>
La <cum magna uoluptate> = Fr <avec grand plaisir>

Really,Raoul Thierry de Rotschil he's rigth because:
La: eo in urbem is eo urbem, as peto romama, simply accusative
La: Ab urbe condita, can do well as urbe condita( ablativus absulutus)
La: eo ad patrem does better as eo patrem
La: Ex illo die sounds more latin as illo die
La: vas ex auro sounds gramatically correct as : Vas aureum or vas uaro.
La: Cum magna voluntate sounds latin as: Magnà voluntate (ablative case)
Ed   Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:44 pm GMT
Antiearth, the gutteral sounds in German would be the CH sound in words like achtung. Afrikaans has a similar sound formed by the letter G for and it is usually regarded as ugly by English speakers, probably because they have difficulty pronouncing it.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:27 pm GMT
I think Sami sounds nice. A bit like Finnish, but not that monotone. I sometimes listen to Sami news, it sounds very soothing!

Sámegielat leat gielat maid sámit hállet. Sámegielat gullet uralalaš gielaid suopmelaš-ugralaš gielaidde. Sámegielat eai gula nuortamearasuopmelaš gielaidde degomat suomagiella ja esttegiella, mat leat sámegielaid gáidan fuolkegielat.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:34 pm GMT
Relax with Sami! Just click "Listen to Sámi Radio" on the right.

http://www.samiradio.org/English/
greg   Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:53 pm GMT
S.P.Q.R : tu ne prouves pas que le latin classique n'utilisait jamais de préposition.
Allan   Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
Definitely Estonian