Lithuanian language in the eyes of the foreigners

Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:34 pm GMT
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:21 pm GMT
2?
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:29 pm GMT
it's got two genders and 7 cases
suomalainen   Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:10 am GMT
Even Malta and Cyprus are EU countries with smaller population than Lithuania.
Vytenis   Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 am GMT
It's got 7 cases, it uses different noun endings where English uses prespositions like "for", "with", "by" etc. Genders are only two - masculine and feminine.

Cyprus speaks Greek and Turkish: these languages have many more millions of speakers. Malta, yes, I forgot. So is Monacco, Anrodda, San Marino and Vatican :D
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:07 pm GMT
Is Suomalaienen and Suomakkolaista the same person? It seems to me that the first is a bit more intelligent. :-)
Vytenis   Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:51 pm GMT
Spaking of Finnish language I think it should be even more exotic for foreigners than Lithuanian, because its not even indo-european and the numbers of native speakers is not much bigger than that of Lithuanian.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
Lithuanian is much harder than Finnish, that's for sure!
latvietis   Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
Labas! Sveiki!

I am Latvian speaking Latvian (native), English, Russian, German and some Spanish (I am learning Spanish now). In future I`ll definitelly learn Lithuanian because: 1) Its only langage related with my language, e.g., Latvian
2) its probabably oldest living IE language
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 pm GMT
I suppose you don't have any articles in your language? Right? You don't use the articles when you write in English :-)
Vytenis   Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:48 pm GMT
Labas vakaras, latvieti :)
You know, the place where I live is only some 50 or 60 kilometers away from Latvian border, but nobody here shows the slighest interest in larning Latvian... It's sad. I think we should learn neigbouring countries' languages in the first place... I think nowadays people still speak Russian on both sides of the border, but I am sure in the future when the number of Russian speakers decreases, maybe people will show more interest in learning each others language...
suomalainen   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
Labas dienas Vytenis,

You are right that Monaco, Andorra, San Marino and Vatican are smaller than Lithuania. Still, they are not EU member states. Ash esu suomis ir nekalbu lietuviskai, I´m sorry. But it would be nice if we neighbours from the shores of the Baltic had more interest to learn each others´ languages.
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:44 pm GMT
Which languages do Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania speak? Do they belong to the same branch?
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:03 pm GMT
Which languages do Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania speak? Do they belong to the same branch.

Estonian belongs to the finn-ugric languages, whereas Latvian and Lithuanian to the baltic languages. Estonian is quite similar to Finnish
latvietis   Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:09 am GMT
Labas rytas! :)
Vytenis, completelly agree with you! I am very sure, it should not be difficult for Latvian learn Lithuanian language and vice versa.
BTW, we should not overestimate the importance of English...