The easiest IE language (morphologically)

Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
Correction: First one is "I love and I don't want to love"
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:53 pm GMT
What about the second part of the poem?
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:04 pm GMT
Well,I'm not really sure about "olas de escollo".I mean I know what the words mean ,but can't find the proper equivalent in English.
Then   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:07 pm GMT
Then the real weakness is your lack of Spanish proficiency.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
My weakness is not relevant here. And every language has idiomatic expressions.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
Olas de escollo is not such an special expression. I guess that there must be a rough equivalent in English.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 pm GMT
Ola de escollo simply means breaking wave. You didn't translate the second part because your knowledge of Spanish is far from advanced, so I don't know how you can find weaknesses in Spanish. Why not mastering it before that?
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:31 pm GMT
It's not that limited. At advanced level all languages are complicated,it's basic conversation skills where weaknesses come out.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:45 am GMT
Spanish has weaknesses in basic conversation ? For example?
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 am GMT
In Spanish you can't say : "Hi, what's up!".
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 am GMT
Ja ja ja!

hola, ¿qué tal? ¿cómo te va? ¿qué pasa? ¿qué hay de nuevo?

Is it ok for you?
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:17 pm GMT
That was a good example. Weakness is not the right word. It's just the limited number of words, the limited number of meanings, the limited possibilities,etc. You can't play with words like you do in other languages, for instance they never use inversions,interjections, has few prepositions,people don't use pitch,etc. Polysemantism is virtually inexistent, can't really say you can spice up the conversation or bend the rules a little like you do in English.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:28 pm GMT
Guest, you don't have an advanced knowledge of Spanish, how come you are aware of its limits? What is limited is your command of Spanish, but people who are advanced learners are well aware that polysemic words do exist in Spanish, like in many other languages. For example "se" has TONS of meanings, and I highly doubt that you know at least half of its meanings and uses. It' just the contrary to what you said. In English there are more rigidites like word order. In Spanish despite it's more frequent to use S+V+O it's possible to use +O+V+S without sounding odd at all.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:13 pm GMT
Spanish is a rich language! As for Morphology, Spanish is a lot more complicated than Spanish: plenty of verb endings and diminutive, augmentavie suffixes. Guys, this is a fact!
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:14 pm GMT
...than English is sorry