French & Italian...! How many years...?

Rolando   Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:13 am GMT
How many years does it take for a Native Spanish Speaker to learn French and/or Italian...?
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:20 am GMT
For dumb people a whole lifetime, for smart people, a few years.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:32 am GMT
It depends on one's ability and what proficiency means. I would guess a year for Italian, maybe a little longer for French. Someone with a good memory, materials and time could probably learn French in a year.

French is closer to Italian than it is to Spanish.
Rolando   Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:28 am GMT
True, but Italian is closer to Spanish than what French is to Spanish... :-)

I'm thnking of picking up a 3rd language, but I want one that would be easy.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:47 pm GMT
Another idiot question please?
I don't understand people who make these questions: do you want an answer from a fortune-teller or what?
Gues   Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:22 pm GMT
I learned Italian in one month. French would take a little longer.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:27 pm GMT
I learned Italian in 127 years. French took me 252.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
I couldn't learn Italian in 10 years, French takes a little shorter
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:46 pm GMT
Well, it depends on your IQ.
guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm GMT
It depends on IQ, how fast you learn languages, how much time and effort you put in, how much sleep and rest you get, what kind of diet you eat...LOTS of things.

Please stop creating stupid threads as showcases for what you really want someone to tell you: and once again, SPANISH IS NOT ITALIAN! Please get it through your thick skull.

If you want someone to affirm your ridiculous assertions, please just talk to yourself.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:56 pm GMT
Yeah, Italian is easier than Spanish.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
"Yeah, Italian is easier than Spanish."

>>Oh please not again, we've gone through this issue too many times already, and it always ends up in Spanish being easier than English, let alone Italian. Anyways going back to the subject, French is too complicated, Italian is more similar to Spanish therefore it'd take you less time to learn Italian than French.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:30 pm GMT
From the easiest to the most diffcult:

English< Italian<Spanish<French.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:55 pm GMT
Rolando,

I wrote about the French-Italian connection. Italian will be easier for you than French, but if you want a very easy language, pick up Portuguese. Frankly, all of the big romance languages should be easy for you if you know two languages already. Romanian is a little different, but it's easy too.

Before anyone gets upset about calling romance languages "easy", remember Rolando already knows Spanish. They are so similar. I'm not a genius and I've learned a few of them.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:08 pm GMT
A note about IQ. I think people who have above average intellectual ability will do better, but this is no guarantee. There are other factors. A person who doesn't have a great ear can still learn languages, but will probably not sound native. I think mental blocks are one of the biggest issues for adults and some teenagers. They are too afraid to sound sillly or they insist on speaking language X through their native language.

Rolando's musical sense and personality may be big factors in his success, but frankly wanting an "easy" language is not a good sign.

People hear that "Spanish" is easy and it is (compared to Mandarin, lol, for westerners), but it's not so easy that all a person has to do is put on a tape and have it play during sleeptime.