French & Italian...! How many years...?

Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
<<All I wanted was a damn percentage on how long it take for someone who speaks Spanish to learn another romance language... >>

How do you express that in a percentage.??? .... "It takes 33,333% to learn French if you know Spanish".....

Damn logic is even trickier than language learning..
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:27 pm GMT
Do not eat fast. Do not eat. Fast.
No comas rápido. No comas. Rápido.

LOL! ¡Qué ejemplo más estúpido! _Guest

I'm afraid you do not understand what this means in English. I know this because of what you wrote in Spanish. There is a verb in English "to fast" ("breakfast" is actually "breaking a fast"). A fast is when you do not eat. In Spanish the verb is "ayunar". I hope this helps.
Gues   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
If you speak Spanish it will take you 30 days to learn Italian. Believe me.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 pm GMT
I would disagree with that. I speak Spanish, French and a few other languages. I had a passive understanding and could read Italian with almost no effort. I don't recall putting in much effort anyway. I am beginning to speak Italian now and I think it will probably take me eight months to speak as well as I speak Spanish. It may take me a year, but it does seem to be pretty dang easy if that's any consolation, but NOT 30 days.
Lèfevre   Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:24 pm GMT
Italian is much more complicated than Spanish let alone English. Everybody claiming the contrary is a Spanish troll or clearly an idiot
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 pm GMT
It's so comical considering that there are so many "easy" languages and then everybody is STILL writing in English here. ALWAYS!!
AAHAHH!!!!
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:57 pm GMT
Bellum omnium contra omnes, ad nauseam.
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
Italian is much more complicated than Spanish let alone English. Everybody claiming the contrary is a Spanish troll or clearly an idiot

The only trollo here is you. Italian is easier than Spanish, let alone English.
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:19 pm GMT
I can write in other languages, but then I'd get the "greg" treatment. Since everyone "understands" English, I usually write in English.
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23 pm GMT
"The only trollo here is you. Italian is easier than Spanish, let alone English."
...sin comentario.
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
Each language has its particular and peculiar parts. It's relative. I'm sorry, but to me Italian seems very easy after learning Spanish and French. It is also much easier than some other languages I'm learning or have learned. It's also a very beautiful language, so don't think I am "slamming" Italian.

In general, I just don't think languages are "hard". Maybe I'm not afraid of them. I think fear of sounding stupid, foreign, or failure may keep more people in monolingual land.
bill   Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:38 am GMT
Learning a language is not intelectually rigorous; its just memorization. The comments made about IQ are asinine, and condescending to prospective language learners. Anybody can learn a language, and how fast you learn, depends on studying habits, and dedication.

Typically for romance language speakers, it takes just six months of moderately rigorous study (a couple hours a day) to learn another romance language, using the right methods.