Demystifying the Sounds of English, German, and Spanish

I love being Anon.   Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
I don't think I can say enough about this great site. Teachers, learners, linguists and others must love this. You can hear someone say the sound, then see someone pronounce the word. Great job, guys!

This may have been linked here before, but it is a super ressource!

Can't make the double "r" of Spanish. Give it a try.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/spanish/frameset.html
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/#

Here's the portal to American English, German, and Spanish.

For the "rr" sound you have to choose "vibrantes" and the "r" which stands alone.

Have fun!
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:57 pm GMT
You can't make one Spanish sound (which has the easiest sounds among all European languages) can you imagine how hard it is to learn all those tricky English sounds that doesn't exist in Spanish?, really hard.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
I think you mean "IF" you can't make one Spanish sound, right?

I don't have trouble with these sounds, but I talk to people who do and apparently at least one poster recently admitted that the "rr" was strange, so I posted the link.

I have never understood why some people cannot make the rr sound in Spanish. On the other hand, it's difficult for some people who have a rolled sound to get rid of it when speaking English.

I agree that English pronunciation is one of the biggest challenges for non-native speakers.

This link allows those with rr problems the chance to see an animated version of what should be happening in the inside of the mouth as well as the chance to see a native speaker forming some words with the letter.

I would love to see this for Chinese or French.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:26 pm GMT
Guys, the most difficult in Spanish is LL. RR is damn easy compared to LL.
Skippy   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:06 am GMT
What makes LL difficult?
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:17 am GMT
I can't explain it, but I've observed that many people can't pronounce LL properly (not me).
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:26 am GMT
There is nothing difficult in LL. The most difficult sound in spanish for english speakers is getting right the 'r' in some situations. It is very difficult to pronounce naturally combinations such as 'el río'.
mac   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:37 am GMT
Never had trouble with LL. My single R is pretty good, but I'm one of those people who have trouble with the RR sound. I'll watch that link and see if it helps.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 am GMT
That's because you all pronounce the fake LL not the good one.
Xie   Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:18 am GMT
LOL, am I one of the very few dabblers to say that I can't get the R, not RR, right? How do you, Americans, really pronounce butter, letter and every Spanish word with a single R?

It seems like there are two ways (so, two symbols in the IPA) of doing this. In one way, you try to make a "la" (English), but then your tongue tip just hits the alveolar ridge very briefly; in another, your tongue tip gets in touch with the ridge and moves along it until it reaches somewhere near the teeth.

Am I right? What exactly are these 2 ... ?taps? or ?flaps? ?
Gabriel   Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:17 am GMT
Thanks for the link, that website is superb! As it is to be expected for such an ambitious undertaking though, it's not without errors. A few transcriptions don't match the actual sounds being produced; the speaker would say ["se4o] when the transcription given is ["Te4o]. There are a few dialectal oddities. Wouldn't a consistent model of American English be expected to have the same vowel in JAW and RAW? For Spanish, it seems to be implied that only Caribbean Spanish uses [h] for /s/. Also, the vowel of "British" PATH is listed as a front vowel [a] (with no indication of this being a Northern feature) and the actual vowel produced by the speaker is closer to [A].
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:39 am GMT
"That's because you all pronounce the fake LL not the good one"

>The fake one? what are you talking about, the LL = Y, Spanish has just one simple sound, compare to English that has at least three Y,G and J it's a piece of cake.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:44 am GMT
Well, "ll" is usually "y", but Argentinians say "sh" or something close to it.
"Shorar" for "LLorar".
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:53 am GMT
Well, "ll" is usually "y", but Argentinians say "sh" or something close to it.

That's what I was refering to. Proper LL is not pronounced like consonantic y nor like the Argentinian fashion ("sh"). Proper LL is a palatal lateral consonant.