Installing and uninstalling SuperMemo
The information in this manual applies to SuperMemo 2006/2008 for Windows. It may not be compatible with the latest version of SuperMemo.
Installing SuperMemo 2006/2008 for Windows
- Go to the folder where you have downloaded the .exe file with SuperMemo. Run the file.
- The SuperMemo Install Wizard will appear. To install SuperMemo on your computer, follow the instructions on the screen. Remember that you have to be connected to the Internet, because the wizard needs to download some files during the installation.
- The Install Wizard will ask you to choose the folder to which you would like to install SuperMemo and the name under which SuperMemo will appear in your Start Menu. Usually, you can just click Next twice to accept the defaults suggested by the wizard.
Now the wizard will display the “Choose Additional Tasks” screen. Here, you can choose Microsoft® Help if you would like to install the entire help system on your computer or Internet Help if you would prefer to connect to the SuperMemo website every time you want to read one of the help pages. If your computer has a permanent Internet connection, it’s probably best to choose the second option, because it ensures you will always be using the most recent version of the help system.
You can also check Add desktop icon to add a shortcut to SuperMemo to your desktop.
- Click Install. The wizard will start downloading files to your computer. When it’s done, click Finish to close the Install Wizard and run SuperMemo 2006/2008. (Go to “Running SuperMemo for the first time”)
Uninstalling SuperMemo 2006/2008 for Windows
To uninstall SuperMemo from your computer:
- Open the Start Menu, locate and open the Control Panel, and choose Add or Remove Programs. Select SuperMemo on the list and click Remove.
- The Uninstall Wizard will appear. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- You will see a dialog box with the information that the wizard has not removed some of the files in your SuperMemo folder. This refers to SuperMemo collections. If you click Yes, the SuperMemo folder will appear and you will see the systems folder in it. This folder contains the two tutorial collections that were included with SuperMemo 2006/2008. If you created your own collections, they may also be in this folder, so be careful when removing it!