Searching of words during reading

Mohammed Asad Khan   Saturday, December 08, 2001, 22:10 GMT

When students read text materials and get a few complicated words in almost every line so my question is that " how should a person look words up in a dictionary while he is reading?
Tom   Sunday, December 09, 2001, 16:08 GMT
You can do two things:

- Interrupt your reading every time you see a difficult word, and look it up in a dictionary.

- Look up the most important words when reading. When you cannot understand a sentence because you don't know a word, you can interrupt your reading and look it up. But there are also less important words (you can understand the meaning even if you don't know them). You can write such words on a sheet of paper. When you're finished reading, you can look them up in a dictionary and possibly append them to SuperMemo.

BTW, if a book has many difficult words, you should be happy! After all, that gives you an opportunity to learn a lot!

What is your goal? Do you want to learn English OR do you want to read a book without any problems? If you want to read a book easily, then read a book in your native language! :-)
Mohammed Asad Khan   Sunday, December 09, 2001, 22:53 GMT
I guess I want to learn English.And I also read a book without having any problems.Your above two points are valid to search words in a dictionary.
Some people think that if you interrupt word after word for a dictionary, of course, the rythme of reading and understanding materials will not be effective and interesting so they generally tell people first you jot down complicated words on a sheet of paper and search them and repeat the whole text again where you have to apply original meanings so they think it has better sound .What do you think?
Tom   Wednesday, December 12, 2001, 15:16 GMT
It sounds like a pretty good idea, though I've never done it.

Usually, I don't feel like re-reading the same paragraph. When there is a sentence I don't understand, I look up the difficult words in the sentence. Then I re-read that ONE sentence.

But reading the same text many times is a good idea.

(I achieve a similar result by appending the difficult sentence to SuperMemo. The program makes sure I repeat it many times.)
Neil Gratton   Tuesday, February 26, 2002, 15:17 GMT
I would say if you are getting complicated words in every line, you are reading the wrong level of material. If it's a novel, try reading a newspaper or a children's book instead!

If you can read well enough to understand the majority of what is going on in the book, just write down the word and page number as you are reading; then when you reach the end of the chapter or section, you can look up all the words. Then read the chapter again with your list next to you.