How to learn a british accent..

Christine   Saturday, August 10, 2002, 07:58 GMT
Hello.I was just wondering,If anyone knows of any online sites that teach you the British accent.I don't want to pay for a speaking coach,because it isnt life or death,but I have always liked the British accent and the only word I can say properly in British is arse.lol.And that's only due to the fact that I can read it.So if anyone has any tips and such please let me know or email me at bugly_3@yahoo.com .And I know it will take more then a day to learn,but I'm patient.Thanks!
Chris   Tuesday, August 27, 2002, 03:55 GMT
To learn a british accent just do what i did, watch BBC america alot or if you dont get that channel (i get it on Direct TV) watch monty python movies/ flying circus or any show that was produced by the bbc!

Pip pip cheerio!
Truong Son Dang   Monday, September 16, 2002, 02:38 GMT
this guy named somethin hundley on my cross country team is from south africa he gots a british accent, and i'm asian and i cant really get the vocal pronouncing of the sound thing right...and i watchin monthy python vids arent really helpin,any other tips?
Nigel Pickering   Wednesday, September 18, 2002, 04:52 GMT
Righto! Move to the UK straightaway, live there for about 20 years, and pick up the accent naturally! That is how I did it!
Smith   Saturday, October 05, 2002, 07:29 GMT
I think concentration is very important to understand British accent as they speak very fast
dadge   Wednesday, October 09, 2002, 03:48 GMT
ive been so obsessed with that accent,i worked really hard to sound like one,and it really works, people wonder how i acquired it in just a nick of time and even my english professors envy me so much,want to know how? just e mail me at <daje_gabe56@yahoo.co.uk>.......im a filipino but sounds like a Purist and Native speaker...Have a go!
Peter   Wednesday, October 09, 2002, 09:44 GMT
If you want to speak with a "British accent", you need to decide which one. Did you know that Great Britain is the island made from THREE countries: England, Scotland and Wales, all with many distinctive regional accents and dialects. Ever since Robin Williams played Mrs Doubtfire as an "English" woman, but with a very SCOTTISH accent I have suspected that most Americans don't know the difference. To complicate matters further, the "United Kingdom" also includes these countries' surrounding islands and Northern Ireland, and "The British Isles" incude the rest of Ireland too. Hope that clears things up.
Roy   Sunday, October 20, 2002, 08:22 GMT
Right!
Anyway watched Star Wars EP2 Attack of the Clones?

I think Ewan McGregor's accent is quite cool!
I have tried to speak like him by imagining I was him and soon I sorta picked up the accent. I am in America and some people I speak to told me I got some Bloody Old England accent. I think British accent is much easier to pick up than American accent, really. Ive been in America for quite sometime but I still cant pick up good american accent.
Sharon   Tuesday, October 22, 2002, 16:41 GMT
Hey Guys! I am VERY interested in England and their British accents. If anyone had any spare time maybe you can email me and teach me. I also live in a area where A LOT of Irish and English come to work for the summer...so maybe I'll end up seeing ya!
Thanks guys :)

Wakefield_sharon@yahoo.com
ap   Tuesday, October 22, 2002, 16:59 GMT
It does depend a lot upon which british accent you want; there are so many. I live in Oxford, which has perhaps the strongest "british" accents, but there are varying types accross the UK, mancunian, liverpudlian, cockney, brum, to name but a few.
Bunnie   Saturday, October 26, 2002, 13:58 GMT
I like the british accent Olver wood (Harry potter quiditch captain) Had. What Kind of accent is that? I need to find out so I can Learn it. If anyone coulf help me I would be very happy. And if you could teach it to me I'd be happier still. E-mail: Inocentlildyke@hotmail.com
Michelle   Saturday, October 26, 2002, 14:37 GMT
Hi I'm British if you want to talk like a british person all you have to do is make sure your bottom jaw is aligned with the top row of your teeth and then start saying some words and it just comes out. my email address is Shelly0862002@yahoo.com
Saoud Ahmed   Sunday, October 27, 2002, 07:06 GMT
1-Actually, the best way you have to associate with British in your work and in your daily movements, otherwise that is not suffice to speak the Bri, accent it's depend on your attempts and efforts and don't shy.
2-Go to UK stay their and join English courses, becareful distinguish between US and Bri. among native british dialicts.
Dmitri   Monday, October 28, 2002, 22:41 GMT
There are estimated to be nearly 30 different accents in Britain, and nearly 150 'sub-accents,' which makes it the area with the greatest density of accentual differences in the world. This is thought to be largely due to the fact that up untill recently most brits chose to live and die where they were born. As a result, accents can vary greatly even in areas that are within a few miles of each other. To illustrate, as a foreigner who has lived in the north of england for several years I can understand perfectly everone who speaks to me in my community, but require a translator when I travel 6 miles down the road where the local accent becomes very pronounced.
Nick UK   Tuesday, October 29, 2002, 21:44 GMT
There are a lot of British accents in the UK as most people seem to have stated. However, if you REALLY wish to speak the most popular UK accent, I would recommend Estuary English. This is a mixture between the Cockney and Queens English, which is found mainly in Southern and Eastern England.

If you wish to check out some other British accents, 'learning by listening', you may find this website of some use.

http://www.tv-ark.co.uk/bbc.html

Good luck on your quest.