Washroom Restroom Bathroom

Jim   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 06:16 GMT
Which words piss you off?

Which words and expressions would you get rid of if you could and why?

There are a lot of stupid words and expressions in English. Wouldn't you agree?

Three of the Engllish words that I hate the most are "washroom", "restroom" and "bathroom". Why are there so many people out there who can't manage to call a toilet what it is. A toilet is a toilet is a toilet. Toilet! Toilet! Toilet!

Who was the shit-for-brains who came up with the words "washroom" and "restroom"? Am I going there to rest ... on the toilet seat? No! Am I going there to wash ... in the toilet water? No! These are silly words and we'd be better off without them. A friend of mine once pointed out the fact that there was a seat that you sat on so he was arguing that there was nothing wrong with the word "restroom". However, I wasn't going to the room for a rest, there were plenty of other seats for me to sit on. You get up from your seat, go and use the toilet; you're not using it as a place of rest, you've just got up from your seat; you've got a very different purpose in mind.

If there is no bath in the room then what right has it got to be called a "bathroom"? None! A bathroom is a room with a bath in it, no more no less. If you're going to the room to use the toilet don't tell me you're going to the "bathroom" as if you were going to have a bath. Don't lie. You're going to the toilet.

Let's stop this nonesense. Boycott these stupid expressions.
CIV   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 06:44 GMT
"Restroom" probably came about in America (only my speculation) because most toilets in America also have a bath and sink in there. Hence, "bathroom" or "washroom."
Sybill   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 19:52 GMT
Bloody Americans trying to mess up the language again!! A toilet is a toilet and a bathroom is a room which has a bath in it!!! A restroom is where the yanks go for a dump and lets face it some of them can take a hell of a long time to do that!!!
Dude of America   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 20:57 GMT
Damn actually we call it a restroom because there is no Bath in there and washroom just sounds like a fag.
American Baby   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 20:59 GMT
and Americans don't like the term "yank" so put it in your spank bank and move on....ummmm and it is more polite to say restroom out in public duhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
CIV   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 21:00 GMT
Sybill, go to hell, bitch.
to sybill   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 21:07 GMT
seriously and you brits don't have to worry about taking a dump because all of your shit comes out of your mouth.
Hoju   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 22:57 GMT
ZING!
Jim   Thursday, November 14, 2002, 23:52 GMT
I don't find anything impolite about saying "toilet" but if you don't want to use the word just say "Excuse me." Why invent a stupid word like "restroom"?
Andrew   Friday, November 15, 2002, 18:16 GMT
Yeah why call it a restroom heh?? Or a bathroom when the place doesn't even contain a bloody thing?? Unless its one of those invisible ones.
Nz   Friday, November 15, 2002, 21:13 GMT
In America it's called a bathroom or restroom because it's EXTREMELY impolite to say one is going to the toilet. Almost even vulgar.
geofrey   Friday, November 15, 2002, 23:11 GMT
how about the can???
estudiante del norte   Friday, November 15, 2002, 23:53 GMT
Y'all can just say bano! (only i dont know how to put a tilday over the n so dont think i am being neglegent!)

;)
Clark   Saturday, November 16, 2002, 00:27 GMT
estudiante del norte, ¿quién estás? :-) ¡Te conozco bien!

Por esribir el tilde:

1.press the ALT key down on the left side, and hold it down for the whole operation;

2. (while holding the ALT key) press CONTROL on the left side, and then press "0" (the "0" on the left side of the keyboard. Are you still holding the ALT key down?)

3. then type in "2" "4" "1"

4. release the ALT key and voilà, "ñ"
Sealy   Saturday, November 16, 2002, 06:18 GMT
geofrey
Yup, "the can" is vulgar, too. It isn't a widely-used term in the US, either.