How to quickly learn to write in a foreign language

Tom   Tuesday, December 25, 2001, 23:02 GMT
I was thinking about how to learn to write correct sentences in a foreign language, and I had this idea:

1. Take a sample of your e-mail, and have it translated into the
foreign language by a native speaker.

2. Add every translated sentence to a SuperMemo collection and use the collection regularly (or simply read the sentences every once in a while).

3. After a while, you will have filled your brain with a large base of correct sentences EXACTLY LIKE THE SENTENCES YOU WANT TO WRITE (because they are taken from your own e-mail messages).

4. Then, you can simply imitate those correct sentences when writing in the foreign language.

Any comments?
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Wednesday, December 26, 2001, 10:07 GMT
I am willing to test this idea. But I cannot use my correspondence in my native language because I don't write in my native language. I could use my English correspondence and have it translated into German. I am waiting for a German who would like to help me conduct this experiment.

If you're a German willing to participate in this, you can reach me through the Antimoon contact page.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Friday, December 28, 2001, 23:38 GMT

your idea seems to be very difficult to implement into reality.

This is incomplete idea without the help of super memo and everyone can not afford to buy super memo. { Any other alternatives of super memo }

And the big question mark is that to find out a native speaker who is agreed to spend his some time to translate our emails.

{ to find out a native speaker in non native country is a huge problem }
Tom   Saturday, December 29, 2001, 01:01 GMT
Mohammed - thanks for your comments.

<<<<
This is incomplete idea without the help of super memo and everyone can not afford to buy super memo. { Any other alternatives of super memo }
>>>>

Instead of repeating the sentences with SuperMemo, you could simply read them every day. (You would spend more time than with SuperMemo, but it would probably work.)

<<<<
And the big question mark is that to find out a native speaker who is agreed to spend his some time to translate our emails.
{ to find out a native speaker in non native country is a huge problem }
>>>>

Perhaps you could find a willing native speaker over the Internet. It doesn't have to be hard work. You could send him 5 sentences a day. It doesn't have to be free. The learner could pay the person a little money for the service.

Also, the person does not have to be a native. It could simply be someone who is "very good" at English. For example, I could do it for a Polish person.
Pawel Lachowicz   Friday, January 18, 2002, 10:54 GMT
Besides English I have strong will to learn French as good as I can. It's not so easy in the beginning, of course. However I have applied new idea how to do it, how to improve my skills in writing French words and sentences.

I use ICQ or Polish version of Gadu-Gadu to communicate with people who speak French as a native language, i.e. mainly from France and Canada. My French vocabulary is still poor but I do not give up. In the dialogs I use the sentences which I know best. And all new words and phrases I can read written by second person/s, I just simply add to my SuperMemo collection.

And it works! It's one of the quickest way to enrich you ability of using foreign language and activate your new vocabulary.
Kyle   Wednesday, March 27, 2002, 16:55 GMT
Ok I dare you (the norsk-experiment-founder) conduct an experiment. To learn Japanese/Chinese without the help of translation.
Winston Dillon   Thursday, March 28, 2002, 08:48 GMT
to Kyle
>>>>>>>>>>>
To learn Japanese/Chinese without the help of translation.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
what do u mean?
John   Friday, March 29, 2002, 22:36 GMT
Kyle, I second the motion.
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Friday, March 29, 2002, 22:43 GMT
to Kyle:

<<<<<<<<<<<
Ok I dare you (the norsk-experiment-founder) conduct an experiment. To learn Japanese/Chinese without the help of translation.
>>>>>>>>>>>

I am ready to start this experiment if only you are willing to sponsor it.
clear   Friday, April 05, 2002, 16:30 GMT
It seems that you depend a lot on the Supermemo, and i wonder if it really does you much good? I will be very glad if you can share your experience of using it with us. Thank you!
Mohammed Asad Khan   Friday, April 05, 2002, 17:22 GMT
Keep in touch, right here!
http://www.supermemo.com
Mohammed Asad Khan   Saturday, April 06, 2002, 16:49 GMT
To Clear:

I have been using supermemo since feburary 25, I have a wow of a time with working on it, It is very weird sort of software, the purpose of using software is totally different from other internet softwares. This software is not only used to keep definitions of words but also split a large information into small particles of questions and answers,As a result, you can easily remember a large information forever. This option is called 'Incremental reading.'

" Before using supermemo I had no option to keep English words on a right track even as If I wanted to recall words,How could I recall them, so the bottom line is, Supermemo keeps words well organized and it tells you how long this word or that word will be stored in your brain memory. It alarms you, once a word will have to evaporate, then you can recall it rapidly."

You see, " Have you read these words and know where these words are used -- Homage, chauvinism, decorum, demography, derogatory, wow of a time, sexism, this is only possible to use these words by supermemo."

It tells you definitions of these words and so many example sentences, therefore, you are able to use them, when you are speaking or writing messages, Imagine or Realize the true facts, one a reader will read these words during your e-mails or letters, He will certainly have a rocking time.
won't he?
I guess this is the experience of mine, If I work daily with my supermemo collection, to be perfectly frank with you, one or two years later, you'll be seeing my name at Antimoon as a successful student. :-)

- Asad!
Mohammed Asad Khan   Sunday, April 07, 2002, 07:53 GMT
1. Take a sample of your e-mail, and have it translated into the
foreign language by a native speaker.

- You are right! for me, It is not reliable option, one thing is, to find out a native speaker, writing e-mail messages to him and then get replies a bit late and append correct sentences into supermemo. It might irk learners so much. What I think, The best way to collect correct sentences from reading magazines, newspapers, novels, short stories and of course, text books. The main point is to be noted that, Reading text materials carefully,
and then pinpoint interesting phrases like for example, you never ever come across them, and they are not common. Finally, add them into SM.
So that a learner can repeat them from time to time, And I guess it would not be a biggie. Books are easy to available than native speakers, when you have books around you, you can get access to them easily, Not a big problem!

2. Add every translated sentence to a SuperMemo collection and use the collection regularly (or simply read the sentences every once in a while).

- Learners please do it, add sentences to supermemo collection.

3. After a while, you will have filled your brain with a large base of correct sentences EXACTLY LIKE THE SENTENCES YOU WANT TO WRITE (because they are taken from your own e-mail messages).

- That's for sure! -- Appending correct sentences from books can be the best option and of course, your english will may seem like what sort of english you read in the books. Completely Natural!

4. Then, you can simply imitate those correct sentences when writing in the foreign language.

- Right on the $. Not a big deal!