What are the cultural differences between Britain and the USA?

SAS   Monday, December 16, 2002, 01:21 GMT
Americans fear left-wing parties for some reason, I've never known why.

But anyway, if you think the Labour Party is bad, then you haven't see the Liberal Democrats.
Jack Doolan   Monday, December 16, 2002, 05:07 GMT
I didn't write that I thought the Labour Party (British) or Labor Party (Australian) are bad. From the little I know of the British one it was, until recently, espousing policies that the Australian one had dropped 20 or more years before. I have heard that Mr. Blair and his supporters within the British party had a good long look at the Australian party's policies during the 1990s since it held government here from 1983 till 1996 or so.

For some reason many US people seem to think that minor welfare policies like a national medical insurance scheme, or proper attention to primary and secondary public education are an assault on freedom. Thin end of the wedge. Slippery slope to Communism. And all that. Result has been an higher infant mortality than Cuba, and 40% of US 18 year olds having neither vocational nor academic qualifications compared to a Western European average of 10%. (Among other negative consequences).
Ben   Monday, December 16, 2002, 08:33 GMT
hence the hilly billy stereotype
Gav   Monday, December 16, 2002, 15:59 GMT
Interesting statistics (Jack's). It also means that the USA is rich enough to have many uneducated and unskilled people cause their economy isn't that bad in comparison to others like Cuba.
Pam   Monday, December 16, 2002, 19:31 GMT
And many people from america on here were saying that americans were well educated.

As Mr Bush said

"We're gonna have the best educated American kids in the World!"

What a wanker!
J   Tuesday, December 17, 2002, 18:06 GMT
I'm not going to post in this thread again so you can assume any message marked 'J' is not me.
mike   Tuesday, December 17, 2002, 20:10 GMT
In response to the whole globalization issue from before. Yes, you do have a point, we do buy a lot of European products here, and there is such a thing as globalization so I don't want to hear a lot of ppl giving me globalization stories. However, I think not having a choice on which CD brand to buy etc (only Japanese) is different than McDonald's. There are a lot of restaurants in Europe....if you don't like McDonald's go to one of your local eateries. It's that simple. Obviously it worked for the gentleman speaking about the land preservation. I have no sympathy for the bitching and moaning.
Simon   Wednesday, December 18, 2002, 08:31 GMT
No because the advertisers are constantly pumping into the minds of the gullible that unless they go to macdonalds they will have no friends and die lonely, that their local eateries are dated and obsolete.