Need help from native speakers to check the sentences.

Imran   Wednesday, April 23, 2003, 08:31 GMT
I just follow and rely on native speakers in learning English.I'm writing some sentences for correction.
1. The principal of college often takes a round to make sure that every thing is going fine.

2. He is always on round to moniter the students.

3. He's been taking rounds since morning to find out anything wrong.

Folks from America, UK,Australia,Newzeland and south Africa ought to give the answers to my questions.
I'm extremely curious to hear from them.I'd be very happy if they let me know about my mistakes in case they find any in this text.
mjd   Wednesday, April 23, 2003, 15:07 GMT
The head of a college in the US is called a "dean," but I'll correct them as you wrote them.

1) The principal of the college is always going around to make sure everything is going smoothly.

2) He is always going around monitoring the students.

3) He's been going around since this morning to see if there were any problems and to make sure everything was okay.
stet   Wednesday, April 23, 2003, 16:50 GMT
your sentences are acceptable, though i would suggest that you use the verb 'make' instead of 'take' with the word 'round'

though the first sentence would then have two 'makes'

'the principal makes a round'

'the principal makes rounds'

also 'moniter' is latin so has to be 'monitor'
Das Behälter   Wednesday, April 23, 2003, 17:38 GMT
I was going to make the same suggestions, Stet:

1) The principal of the college is always making his rounds to make sure everything is going smoothly.

2) He always makes his rounds to monitor the students.

or

2) He is always around monitoring the students.

3) He's been going around since this morning to see if there were any problems and to make sure everything was okay.

principal of the college = college dean
Jim   Thursday, April 24, 2003, 08:22 GMT
Stet's right, you make a round you don't take one. These sentences could be corrected like this:

1. The principal of college often makes a round to make sure that everything is going fine.

2. He is always making a round to monitor the students.

3. He's been making rounds since morning to find out if there was anything wrong.

Note: "everything" is one word. &: I've added "if there was" to 3.

In 1. & 2. you could replace "a round" by "rounds", "his round" or "his rounds". You could also stick "his" before "rounds" in 3. too. If you use "his round" or "his rounds", you could use "do" instead of "make" i.e. "He does his rounds.", "He's been doing his rounds.", etc.

To avoid having two "make"s in the first sentence you could use "ensure":

1. The principal of college often does his round to ensure that everything is going fine.

The second suggestion for 2. given by Das Behälter has a slightly different meaning. "He is always around monitoring the students." doesn't necessarily mean he is moving whereas to make a round or go around you have to move.

I think I'd use the versions given by mjd. I'm Aussie and although it's not unusual to use "make a round", I think "go around" sounds more common.