Southern Culture of America and English

Clark   Saturday, May 31, 2003, 04:24 GMT
Well, after visiting Oklahoma, I can tell you the people there feel like Southerners.
Andrew   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 04:22 GMT
I have always been curious about wherther inter-racial marriages are accepted in the american south today especially between black man and white woman??
And how much intolerance do they have to deal with?
hp20   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 04:59 GMT
my aunt intermarried down south and it wasn't a problem. they live in a rural county...in an area like that, where most people are closeknit and know a lot of their neighbors, interracial marriages aren't seen on a racial level but on a personal one. it's not so much "ohhh a white girl and a black boy" as it is "oh, there goes james and susan." of course, some communities and towns still have a high racial tensions where it's seen as an issue, but as someone else said, these attitudes fade drastically with each generation. comparing today's south with the south of the 1950's or 60's is something like comparing today's germany with the germany of the 1940's. it's done too often, and it doesn't reflect reality.
BSO   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 23:55 GMT
I do believe that states like Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania, to be Northern states. They has a strong mixture of Northern and Southern traits. Take Maryland and Delaware for example, the people in those 2 states do not consider themselves Southerners (nor do "true" Southerns), I think of DE and MD as the TRUE MID-ATLANTIC.
hp20   Monday, June 02, 2003, 01:08 GMT
pennsylvania is def. a northern state, and we've heard my thoughts on maryland, and i feel certain things about delaware are southern as well. it's a mix, though, a tweener state.
J-D   Monday, June 09, 2003, 17:08 GMT
Baltimore may be a Metropolitan city(but hey, so is Charlotte, Atlanta, Richmond, etc...) but its a much more relaxed attitude over there, as opposed to places like DC and NY. People aren't quite so fast paced and uptight in the Baltimore part of the DC-Bmore metro area. Maryland overall isnt a state that you can classify as anything but... Maryland. Western Maryland is more in tune with the Pittsburgh area, which is more Midwestern than it is Northeast. Southern and Eastern Maryland, even partially into the Annapolis/Baltimore area, has maintained that slower paced open farmland crab fishing lifestyle. Central Maryland is where people from New York, California, South Carolina, Southeast Asia, etc...all come together. Its hard to even meet a lot of people whos families have been in Maryland for more than 1 or 2 generations now. Central Maryland is so mixed now it cant even be considered Northern..but more International now.

If you go back even just 20-30 years, the DC area even has tons of open farmland and small communities, but the area has been growing so fast, now DC is bordered by 3 counties with 850,000+ people. In the next 5-10 years, its soon gonna be 2 counties with over a million and another county approaching the mark very fast. If you look at the counties around Baltimore...theyre growing too but its nothing like that. The Baltimore area really isnt that big, its the DC area thats so packed in like sardines. If you took away the Baltimore piece of the DC-Baltimore metro area, youd still have 4 million people easily. the DC part is about 2/3 of the area.

Maybe im just a bit biased, being i am maryland born to a parent from Tidewater VA and Baltimore, MD(but moved to Tidewater VA) so i've naturally got a lil southern in me, but i just think you've got to look farther than the middle 1/4th of the state to sum up what its all about.

PS-Its gets annoying as an ACC fan in C-Football season, you know that we didnt even get to see UNC's Spanking of FSU back in 2001 up in DC? The only thing that saves us from those awful, ugly, big-10 games sometimes is the Virginia Tech game.