Being sent to Coventry

Simon   Friday, May 16, 2003, 08:24 GMT
In England we talk about "being sent to Coventry" when we are being deliberately ignored/snubbed by those around us.

For example:

"When they found it was little Jimmy Mustard who had been stealing all the Custard Creams, they sent him to Coventry". All this means is that they ignored him, didn't talk to him etc.

What do other English speakers say, if anything. After all, I imagine as an Australian, being sent to Coventry in England would be an extreme punishment, a bit like when we sent people from Coventry to Australia...
hp20   Friday, May 16, 2003, 19:20 GMT
sometimes we say that somebody's in the dog house. you might use that in england too. like when a woman's mad at her husband and isn't speaking to him, he's "in the dog house."
all the sheep   Friday, May 16, 2003, 20:21 GMT
in dutch we have an expression which says :he hears the thunder in cologne.(city in germany)
It means he is astonished and does not understands what is happening.
Andrew J.   Monday, May 19, 2003, 22:10 GMT
What don't the British like about Coventry (except for Coventry residents) that would make being sent there sound like a punishment?
Jim   Tuesday, May 20, 2003, 00:45 GMT
The Australian government is considering sending criminals to Britian and Ireland. Drink drivers an drug offenders are to go to Ireland; theives, con (wo)men and vandals will go to Scotland; those convicted of more serious crimes will be sent to England and everyone left over will be put on the boat to Wales.

The expression "to be given the cold shoulder" is common where I'm from but I don't know that it's an Australianism.