Culture and Language Matter Not

hp20   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 06:22 GMT
well, it's natural to assume that you want to live in california since you do. i don't want to sound like one of those "get out of my country then" people but you are free to leave if you dislike it so much. don't get annoyed with people because they assume that you're living somewhere because you actually want to, because this is in fact the case with most americans.
Clark   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 07:41 GMT
Wait a minute there pal; I never said that I did not like it. I am sorry if I came across that way, but that was not the intention. My intention was very innocent. Here is the story in a nutshell:

I would like to travel once I am able to. I would like to apply for positions in Europe and Canada once I have graduated from college because I want to live in a different culture than what I live in now. I feel like I have grown up in one culture, and I would like to live the rest of my life in one country. Essentially, if I were to stay in California, I would get some job that I would find resonably enjoyable; a desk job, let's say. So, if I can do this in another part of America, Canada or somewhere in Europe, I would be (hopefully) a lot happier because I would be experiencing a different culture.

I do NOT dislike America; I never have. I am just starting to "have a relationship" with her again, but I have never hated America. America has ALWAYS been my home, and I am proud to be a Californian; I would just like to get out of where I am from, like a lot of people have wanted to do, and then experience more of the wordls' cultures.

And I never said I get annoyed with people who assume I like being here. And being here is pleasant, but I would like to see more of the world.
Kabam   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 11:21 GMT
I feel very comfortable in France, but I wouldn't say It will be my country for ever, since I have not traveled much yet (I only went to Spain and Morocco). After all, maybe I could discover that I'd fit better in another country? When I'll know more the rest of the world, I'll be able to decide.
Kabam   Sunday, June 01, 2003, 11:59 GMT
"When I know" and not "When I'll know".
Clark   Monday, June 02, 2003, 02:25 GMT
Yeah, I would like to see more of the world before I say America is where I want to spend the rest of my life. If I travel to a whole bunch of different places, and America is the only place I like, then I will stay here. However, I will not know that until I travel and see more of the world.
Clark   Wednesday, June 04, 2003, 16:43 GMT
Do you ever look at a certain culture and think, "Wow, that culture looks really neat. But, I am part of this culture :-( " Some people may think I have a hook-up on my culture, but in fact, I do not. I am just really intrigued by nationalism in a cultural way. I find it interesting that I am part of one culture, but I know people just like me who are part of another culture. We are all human beings, and we seperate ourselves according to land masses and territories. This is rather absurd because a Canadian from Nova Scotia might not be any different than a Scottish person from the Isle of Lewis, but since they are from two different continents, they are "different."

Ah, I am just rambling and now I have to go.
Qui suis-je ?   Sunday, June 08, 2003, 05:28 GMT
Why do people automatically assume a person is part of one culture if they hear this person speaking a foreign language (foreign to the country the person is in)? I wish there were no ties to language. I wish that one could get together with a group of people from around the world, speak in a foreign language, and not have anyone's culture affect why we chose to speak the language. Spekaing language without the hassle of culture would be a good thing.