Mums the word

Anton Sherwood   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 17:11 GMT
Yes, some people have heard of Lojban.
Clark   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 19:34 GMT
I am not sure I believe you, efmvamn. For some reason, this language seems intriquit(sp). Maybe you did just come up with these sounds, but it sure does not look like it.
efmvamn   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 21:14 GMT
I did make it up. You really made me a compliment about my imagination skills. However, I'm sure you could do the same. Just try to write some fake words as if they made sens and select the best sounds which come into your mind. I'm sure you'll write something beautiful.
Please try.
Clark   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 21:26 GMT
I am two steps ahead of you. Inventing languages is a hobby of mine. I have made half a dozen languages. Actually, as any Conlanger like myself would tell you, no language is ever completed. Language is an ever growing entity.

My favourite language by far is "Danais." A mix between Danish and French. There is more French words, but the Danish presence is very strong. I have also made a language called "Plav." This is another of my favourites, but I have not been working on these two in a while, so maybe I will start on them now.
efmvamn   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 21:34 GMT
I'm speaking about a fully made up language. Did you ever had the chance to create one without using any already existing word?
If Plav is like that, I think I'd be glad to hear how it sounds.
You're two steps beyond me, all right. Good to know that there are people to do what we have only think we could do. Please show me how it is when you're done.
Clark   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 22:30 GMT
Well, like I said, language is never complete. Here is a saying I posted on the door of my bedroom: "Landumipoin, plavinin Plav." It means, "To confuse you, we speak Plav."

Detinipon nag sodinana notobno,
Baninpe sedif,
Mandupe clifif,
Danmupe moduvok,
Litsignof lof a fol sodif notobno.

This is the first part of the Lord's Prayer.
Clark   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 22:54 GMT
And the second part to the Lord's Prayer:

Tanipinanailpo granepi epiterhisto,
Tso sonanalinanaon higalaninpon,
Olf sonanalinin grinin nag higalanif tsanon,
Tso rubininanon sagonnolu,
Do cananinanaon ululuigono.
Esu.
efmvamn   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 22:55 GMT
Shaktaril you for letting igh know a bit of what you astarümel. Maybe I'll astarüm a full new ishatar too.

Shaktaril very much :)
Simon   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 07:16 GMT
From mum's the word to made up languages. How interesting...
Jim   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 07:44 GMT
Simon,

Think of it this way: if mum's the word but you wanted to talk about the mum word to someone who knew the mum word in front of someone who didn't and the second person didn't know your made-up language either but the first person did, you could talk about the mum word freely in the secret made-up language without worrying about being overheard so although you'd be talking about the word you could still, at the same time, keep mum.
Simon   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 07:51 GMT
Or if you make up the language as you go along, no one will ever know!
some gay dude   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 10:40 GMT
is it not a play??
Kabam   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 12:28 GMT
Clark and efmvamn, I think you both have a good idea. But I wouldn't create a language myself for this demand a lot of time and my favourite hobby is drawing, not languages (which is just my number two).
chantal   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 14:35 GMT
efmvamn
Translation

Shaktaril you = thank you
igh = I (or me)
astarümel = made up
astarüm = make up
ishatar = language

Is the translation into English exact ?
efmvamn   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 16:23 GMT
Chavayen, Chantal. If igh astarümel a full new ishatar, you would antertemir it very quickly.
You seem to be good at ishatarim.