Status of the CELTIC Languages in Europe Today!

Martin   Monday, July 14, 2003, 22:46 GMT
Also research has proven that the majority of Britons were not pushed but
stayed in England. How else would 80- per cent of "english" have a
genetic link to a Briton. I know it talks time to change old ideas especially
after the Norman proganda and and 19th century identification with
anglo-saxonness, but the science speaks for itself.
Simon   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 08:42 GMT
The Scotland/England thing is not about genes or Anglo-Saxon v. Celt. It's about the way countries are formed.

A famous Fleming apparently said "If Flanders and the Netherlands join, I'll go and live in Wallonia". Flanders and the Netherlands are very very similar but they can never be the same country.
Simon   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 08:50 GMT
Maybe Clark the reason is that the first Germanic populations were invited over to protect the Romans when the Roman Empire was already on the retreat and under attack. Therefore, the respect and admiration that the Britons must have had for the Romans might have been missing for the Germanic Empire who came to protect a crumbling regime.

Also, in spite of the hype, Britannia was never really that important in the Roman world and was not as heavily administrated as Gaul. The civilisation in Britannia was Romano-Celtic, whereas as in Gaul it was Celto-Roman.

It is interesting - as an aside - that Europe's two biggest cities London and Paris get their names from (probably very similar) Celtic languages. The name Danube too I think is Celtic in origin.
Simon   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 08:51 GMT
Not Empire - I meant "invaders". Am I drunk or something?? Must be the heatwave.
Martin   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 18:36 GMT
I have never heard of any hype about the Britannia Simon. I have been
studying this part of history all my life. Also respect and admiration for
the Romans is quite a stretch. There was a lot of slaughter of successive
"rulers/governors" sent from Rome in the end times of Roman Britannia and
London was sacked by vengeful tribes from Wales at this time. I find
it discomforting to find so much ignorance, deliberate or otherwise
on this web site. Its been going on for months.
Simon   Thursday, July 17, 2003, 07:24 GMT
I didn't mean the Britons only had respect for the Romans but they most have liked the superior technology of the Romans etc. and all the things their civilisation had to offer.

There is a kind of hype about Britannia. British history tends (still) to begin with Romain Britain.

Sorry about the ignorance - it's not deliberate. Perhaps if you were more specific, I might learn something.