How not to lose English

Chantal   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 18:59 GMT
Monika
In France, it's maximum 18 hours weekly for each teacher too. But the amount of work for 18 hours a week that must be done out of your classes is huge. . Contray to Poland where you have three lessons a week, there are only two lessons; each 45 minutes a week for each class in Primary schools. Each lesson lasts 45 minutes and if you teach 18 hours a week that makes 24 hours a week. Of course, you have to work at home to prepare for all these lessons. Not any two classes are the same, so every time you have to invent different methods to cope with your pupils tastes and interests.
Do you use 'flash cards' ? games like Bingo ? childredn love bingo and the idea of winning a little present is very motivating.
Monika   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 20:15 GMT
Chantal
From what you have written I can deduce that you are a teacher, too. Am I right? Do you teach English or any other subject?

Yes, I try to use something extra, something which my pupils will not find in their books - to arouse their interest in this foreign language - some rhymes, songs, crosswords - especially when there is a holiday or something special happened on that day - are what they really like. However, I have to cover the given material required for the given grade and I have to move fowards. It often happens , however, that my class is behind in comparison with a class taught by another teacher and my children ask "why" ? So what should I say?
Chantal   Monday, July 07, 2003, 00:02 GMT
Yes, I'm an English teacher too and I teach grade four and five. I use Christmas, St Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's day, ...etc mostly to make greetings cards and to teach them how to wish a 'happy Christmas',...etc in English.
Well, I think the progess is important for your classes but what if they haven't learnt what you have already taught them ? Will you teach them the numbers from ten to twenty if they haven't leant the numbers from one to ten ? I'll certainly not and try to make them repeat the numbers to ten with all means : flash cards, dice, counting boys and girls, counting pens and pencils, counting on their own fingers...etc. Repetition is the key word. We all learn things because we repeat them all the time. Why not use it in teaching English ?
Just tell them that they'll learn new things all in good time.Tell them they should be patient and modest about their achievements. They can't learn everything in a fortnight.
Monika   Monday, July 07, 2003, 07:41 GMT
Chantal
How many pupils are there in your every class? Are they divided into smaller groups? In my school there are about 26 children per class. The children have got one hour of English together ( one school hour is 45 minutes ) and two hours in groups. Having the whole class is I would say a waste of time ( maybe it is said too strongly as the teacher can't waste the time !) - as there are pupils who see no point in learning foreign languages or just in learning and do their best to spoil your (their !!!) lesson. How do you cope with such children?
Chantal   Monday, July 07, 2003, 11:47 GMT
Monika
Believe me, I worked in some of toughest schools of Paris this year (2002-2003). In fact, I worked in three schools and each was different. One was not easy and sometimes I had to deal with a lot of stress. Depending on the day, I had between 22 to 26 pupils in each class.
Most of my students were eager to learn and they made good progress in English. The main problems or difficulties I had to face with some classes were not progress or participation but discipline. Sometimes my classes went well...all but one. I had a kind of insane class with horrible disciplinary problems and even with the help of head teacher we couldn't make them calm down for very long. My other classes were like paradise in comparison.
to Monika   Monday, July 07, 2003, 12:00 GMT
http://www.pbs.org/search/search_results.html?neighborhood=%2523&q=learning+modalities
there are loads of information about teaching on PBS teacher source.
ats   Monday, July 07, 2003, 12:40 GMT
grade four and five,how old are these children?
primary school ? is that between 6 and 12?
Chantal   Monday, July 07, 2003, 13:10 GMT
ats
they are between 8 and 10.
queen   Monday, July 07, 2003, 13:49 GMT
Monika
Do you have two months Summer holidays and are you paid for them ?
Monika   Monday, July 07, 2003, 14:40 GMT
to queen
Yes, I have two months summer holidays and I am paid for them but don't ask how much the salary for the teachers who are the beginners in that profession is because it is a shame ...
Monika   Monday, July 07, 2003, 15:01 GMT
Chantal,
Haven't you ever thought about giving up? As for me, I am a bit scared by the fact that I am very often so tired with "fighting" with some of my pupils, that I often really think about giving up as a teacher. I am at the very beginning of my teaching career and that's probably not good to feel like that. That's probably the reason why teachers in Poland ( in France too? ) have two months holidays - they just have to "recharge their batteries" to start the new school year with a lot of motivation and optimism in order to "survive" for another school year.
Miguel   Monday, July 07, 2003, 17:42 GMT
In spain is more than two months holidays, it is three
Chantal   Monday, July 07, 2003, 20:58 GMT
>>Yes, I have two months summer holidays and I am paid for them but don't ask how much the salary for the teachers who are the beginners in that profession is because it is a shame ...<<
Yes Monika. It's more and less the same here. The salary is a shame too.
I'm beginner too. Giving up ? No! I gained experience and I'm still learning a lot through my lessons. You should persevere and your persistence will gain your victory.
yes, as you said two months holidays are a great bonus because as the term progresses...you disappear completely into the school life. You need the holidays to remember who you are.
What do you most enjoy about your job ?
Chantal   Monday, July 07, 2003, 21:05 GMT
Miguel
>>In spain is more than two months holidays, it is three <<
In France shools are closed in July and August for Summer holidays. They take up in September.
In Spain, you have three months. Are they July, August and September ?
There are also holidays for all saints "toussaint" in October. Christmas, Winter holidays and Spring holidays during the year : each about ten to fifteen days.
xerxes   Monday, July 07, 2003, 21:42 GMT
Miguel, you said :
>>In spain is more than two months holidays, it is three<<
So you have school holidays in July, August and September in Spain?