Heritage Languages Diluted by English

Chantal   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 22:22 GMT
Cool in French is used for someone 'calm'.
I heard 'il est cool or c'est cool' but I'm not sure about 'le cool'. Maybe it's Belgian. Let's ask 'Kabam' and 'Tabisora'.
Clark   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 23:23 GMT
Ah! Now that I think about it, this woman was speaking to me, and she said "cool" and I looked at her with a blank face, so she said, " 'le cool,' c'est anglais." So maybe she put the article because of the way she was telling me about the word being English in origin.
Kabam   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 00:59 GMT
Chantal is right and so are you Clark. We say "c'est cool" or "cool!" or "il est cool".
"Le cool, c'est anglais" sounds very odd. I'd rather say "Cool, c'est anglais". We should ask Simon if the average Belgian'd speak like that.
Bayou Rover   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 06:03 GMT
Well, I always use “il est cool”. It sounds better to me, I guess.
Clark   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 19:02 GMT
Kabam, I do not like to nit-pick, but "Belgian'd speak..." just does not look right. I mean, yes, it is perfect 'spoken' English, but in written English, this is just not done. I know this forum is very laid back, but I try to write in formal English in terms of use of contractions and such.
to clark   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 23:49 GMT
I don't consider what you do is nit-picking. Thank you for your good job towards the learners. I appreciate your help.
Clark   Friday, July 04, 2003, 00:02 GMT
Thank you, "to clark."
Kabam   Friday, July 04, 2003, 11:02 GMT
I think exactly as "to Clark" does. Thank you Clark! Don't you remember what I said? The more severe you are towards my mistakes (or my culturally-incorrectness), the better. :)
Bayou Rover   Friday, July 04, 2003, 18:06 GMT
Yes, I agree completely with both of “to Clark” and Kabam. It is not nitpicking. It is a good constructive criticism. All people need such thing to learn, I believe.