BRING vs FETCH

EMINEM is THE BEST   Thursday, July 10, 2003, 03:46 GMT

HI ...

IS THIS RIGHT ?

BRING:
WE USE IT WHEN WANT SOMETHING FROM SOMBODY HE HAS ALREADY.
EXAMPLE:
YOU ARE PLAYING WITH YOUR FRIEND FOOTBALL,AND YOU WANT THE BALL FROM YOU FRIEND,SO YOU HAVE TO SAY: BRING THE BALL TO ME.

FETCH:
WE USE IT WHEN WE WANT SOMETHING FROM SOMEBODY HE DON'T HAVE IN THE MOMENT.
EXAMPLE:
YOU ARE DOING YOUR HOMEWORK,AND YOU NEED THE RED PEN,SO YOU HAVE TO SAY :FETCH THE RED PEN FROM MY ROOM,BROTHER.

IF THIS IS RIGHT,
SO IT'S WRONG WHEN WE SAY TO THE WAITER:
CAN YOU BRING WATER ,PLEASE?
WE HAVE TO SAY :
CAN YOU FETCH WATER,PLEASE ?

IF IT ISN'T RIGHT,
CAN YOU MAKE IT A LITTLE CLEAR TO ME,PLEASE.

IF I'VE ANY ANY MISTAKE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME,AND I'LL BE SO GREATFUL FOR YOU.

BE SEEN
Julian   Thursday, July 10, 2003, 06:44 GMT
We tend to think of "bring" and "fetch" as synomymous, but there is a difference between the two: The command "bring that book to me" conveys that you want the person you are addressing to take the book over to you. Whether or not that person already has the book in his possession is irrelevant.

"Fetch me that book" is more specific. Here, you are telling that person to GO and GET the book and then BRING it over to you.

However, we rarely instruct a person to "fetch" something because it can be misconstrued as condescension, or a downright insult. You see, we play "fetch" with our dogs ("Here, boy, fetch the stick!"). When you tell a waiter to fetch you a glass of water, your waiter might think that you're implying he is beneath you (like a dog). Thus, "bring me a glass of water" is more commonly used.

This, however, isn't true everywhere. The people of the southern United States, for instance, tend to use "fetch" more often than those of us in other regions of the country.
Ryan   Friday, July 11, 2003, 01:23 GMT
"to go and get that X for me" is a popular colloquial way in the States to say "bring," which is kind of a more formal word than most youths use.

Ryan
Guofei Ma   Friday, July 11, 2003, 23:22 GMT
It seems that almost no American pupils use the word "fetch". American youths have brought informal conversation to an extreme never envisaged by their predecessors.
Jim   Monday, July 14, 2003, 02:02 GMT
Kids are going wild ... the end is nigh ...

"bring it" = "come (here) with it"

"fetch it" = "go get it then come here with it"

There's my super-short definition but you'd really be better looking in a good dictionary.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=bring
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=fetch

If I were a waiter and were told "Fetch me a glass of water.", I'd think that the speaker was very rude indeed. But if I were told "Bring me a glass of water.", I'd not be as offended but I'd still wonder where the speaker's manners had gone.

"Bring" is more polite than "fetch" but really you should say something like "Would you bring me a glass of water?"