Accent samples - Wingyellow

Tom   Monday, August 11, 2003, 12:31 GMT
Here's Wingyellow's sample for evaluation:
http://www.antimoon.com/temp/wingyellow.mp3
mjd   Monday, August 11, 2003, 15:27 GMT
It was very good. I understood everything without any trouble. If I had to offer some sort of advice, be aware of clipped "er" endings (I noticed this in the word "rather" in the sample).
Ryan   Monday, August 11, 2003, 17:28 GMT
You speak with a very understandable accent, Wingyellow. I am sure you would not have trouble getting a job in the United States. However, it's quite easy to tell that you are from China.

The main problem with people from China speaking English is that English does not have tones like Chinese languages do. English is spoken very flatly. When you say things like "dinner party," your voice goes down then up in tone, when instead it should stay flat.

Rhythm is the hardest thing to learn when learning English accents. Overall, I would say your pronunciation is very good, Wingyellow. I'll send my voice sample tonight.

Ryan
Tom   Monday, August 11, 2003, 18:44 GMT
Of course you were able to understand everything, given that you had read the transcript before listening to the sample.
.   Monday, August 11, 2003, 19:39 GMT
I'd say it is understandable but I guess I wouldn't really understand EVERY word you say if I haven't go that transcript. However, it was really good. You can always work on your accent just to remove that diversities in pitches and stuff.
Good luck!
Guofei Ma   Monday, August 11, 2003, 20:41 GMT
I think that Wingyellow's recording is completely understandable and well-read, but that may be because I provided the transcript.
wingyellow   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 03:46 GMT
I do want to speak like a native speaker. Any method suggested?
What impression does my accent give you?
Should I be so obsessed with my accent?
mjd   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 07:47 GMT
I think the best thing to do is mimic the accent as if you were doing an impression of someone...or even making fun of them (I don't mean in a mean-spirited way, but trying to sound like them). This takes away some of the pressure to perform and one can concentrate on learning the accent and having fun at the same time. Think of it as an impression of an American, a Briton, an Aussie, etc.
wingyellow   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 11:56 GMT
mjd,

Could you give me your number through Tom?
I want to talk to you on phone.
Helen   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 13:11 GMT
wingyellow, not bad, but with Chinese accent, are you Cantonese speaker?
wingyellow   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 13:26 GMT
Yes, I speak Cantonese. And you?