Accent samples: Tom

Tom   Monday, August 11, 2003, 12:32 GMT
Here's my sample, as some of you have requested:
http://www.antimoon.com/temp/tom.mp3
mjd   Monday, August 11, 2003, 15:31 GMT
Tom,

I'm pretty impressed. Your accent is excellent. If I didn't know your story, I'd have guessed that perhaps you moved to the US when you were young, but that obviously wasn't the case (I only detect a slight accent on you).
mjd   Monday, August 11, 2003, 15:41 GMT
Tom,

It's actually interesting. Your "sneaking and guilty air" almost sound Irish to me, but that's still a native speaker of English. Most of it I'd say sounds like an American accent (at least to my American ears). All in all, I didn't hear any Polish accent at all.
Ryan   Monday, August 11, 2003, 17:16 GMT
That's a very good accent. You don't sound like a native, but the accent is good enough that it sounds like you moved to an English speaking country in your early teenage years. The only problem is that the accent sounds very controlled and not non-chalant at all, like you are consciously trying to pronounce all the sounds correctly. I suppose that kind of thing only gets better with practice. It certainly sounds better than any accent I can do in a foreign language. I'll try to put my speech sample up tonight.

Ryan
Bobble   Monday, August 11, 2003, 18:00 GMT
I think he probably sounds a bit artificial because he's reading.
And he does sound slightly Irish to me, but still quite native.
Tremmert   Monday, August 11, 2003, 18:19 GMT
Probably because I can't easily distinguish between different American accents I find this entirely American and can't hear the Irish or Polish part.
.   Monday, August 11, 2003, 19:41 GMT
The accent is so amzing!
Tom   Monday, August 11, 2003, 20:15 GMT
Fine, you want nonchalant, so here goes:

http://www.antimoon.com/temp/probably.mp3

How's this?
Guofei Ma   Monday, August 11, 2003, 20:39 GMT
In my opinion, Tom sounds absolutely like a native of the United States. He must have worked very, very hard on his accent!
.   Monday, August 11, 2003, 20:54 GMT
Yeah, this is just like a native...you sure are talented mimicing American accent the way you just did.
wingyellow   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 00:13 GMT
Tom,

I am convinced you are way better than me as far as accent is concerned.

Does it have anything to do with our native languages?

Please teach me how to learn it. If I have to buy anything, I will buy it.
mjd   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 00:41 GMT
Wow....Tom, if I met you walking down the street, I'd definitely think you were a fellow American. I detected no accent in that second sample and would never think you were a foreigner.

This man deserves to be the CEO of antimoon, folks.
Yotuai   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 07:39 GMT
That gave me some hope that I might improve my accent if I worked so hard. I am happy!
Antonio   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 17:09 GMT
Tom:

Hey mate, I would say "you are an american" judging the second one mp3. The ´liasons´n seem perfect to me. I can´t judge an american accent, but if mdj says it´s perfect, so it is!

If you allow me to remark one small detail, I think ( talking about the first mp3 ) your ending ing´s differ a lot from a native one. Pehaps you´re too strong on it.
Antonio   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 17:59 GMT

Ei, how can we contribute with samples?