Want to learn American Accent.

Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 21:54 GMT
Hi, i am a 16 year old lad from yorkshire in england. My dads got a premotion at work, but his new job is in New York over the pond. Beacuse of this i want to learn more of an american accent, as sometimes even other english people cant understand me ^_^.

Any tips on how to learn an american accent. If its needed i can record my voice, but i have nowere to host it :(

Cheers for any comments
Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 21:59 GMT
me again :D

When i try i allways go into a what i would discribe as a texas accent help!
anora   Friday, August 15, 2003, 22:08 GMT
i print out Phonetic alphabets table. so i wanna to know ii this an american pronunciation?
Richard Li   Friday, August 15, 2003, 22:11 GMT
Ryan, why can't you keep your Yorkshire accent? Don't you have any British pride?
Guofei Ma   Friday, August 15, 2003, 22:21 GMT
So Ryan's a Yorkshire laddie.

These days, I have been seeing a lot of information about the Cockney, Brummie, Scouse, and Geordie dialects but I find that not as much attention is paid to the Yorkshire dialect as in the days of yore.

In Dickens' novel "Nicholas Nickleby" and in the film rendition of Burnett's novel "The Secret Garden", the people from Yorkshire speak in a distinctive way. For instance, Dickens' character John Browdie said "give me thee hond, mun" (that's exactly how Dickens transcribed Browdie's Yorkshire pronunciation of "give me the/thy hand, man"). However, I have not found any information about this dialect on the Internet.

Is the old Yorkshire dialect dead?
Ryan the First   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 04:10 GMT
No, that's another Ryan. I'm a Midwestern American. If I could change my accent from Yorkshire to as good of an American accent as you heard on my recording I would become a professional actor.

Other Ryan, you should watch movies with American actors and repeat what they say. Record your voice when you repeat and then compare it to the tape/DVD. I think the reason most people have trouble changing their accent is because they don't really listen to themselves when they talk.

Ryan
Antonio   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 18:06 GMT
Welcome, Latter Ryan.

Send us your Yorkshire sample mate.

PS: About that ´british pride´ thing; it is killing Britannia. But I wouldn´t change mine to an american either.
2nd Ryan   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 21:54 GMT
hi ryan the first sorry for stealing your name ^_^

what do you want me to say antonio ?

and were shall i send it...

i dont want to have a completly american accent, i just find americans dont understand me that well.. i need to be de yorkshireifyed :p
Clark   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 23:05 GMT
There is a movie called "Brassed Off" about the pit miners in Yorkshire (actually, it was Durham). Ewan MacGregor is in this movie (one of my two favourite British actors; the other one being Sean Bean [who incidently is my favourite ALL TIME actor]).

Anyways, their accents are really neat. One of the guys said, "he lent it me." I thought this was so amazing because it shows that the indirect object in the Northern accents still retains soome Scandinavian feateurs in the grammar.
Ryan   Sunday, August 17, 2003, 06:17 GMT
The character Daphne from Frasier uses a Yorkshire accent, even though the actress who plays her is not a Yorkshire native. It's not a very broad accent, but it's enough to give you a hint of what the accent sounds like.

The most distinctive feature to me is how Yorkshire people seem unable to pronounce the "u" in a word like "but," so the word rhymes with the word "put" instead. The accent has a different rhythm than other accents too, somewhere in between Scottish and London accents. Overall people in the UK like the accent, unlike Brum or Liverpool accents.

Ryan
2nd Ryan   Sunday, August 17, 2003, 11:16 GMT
i havent got a strong accent, however still people dont understand me well who are not from around these parts.

I tryed to say this..

There is a movie called "Brassed Off" about the pit miners in Yorkshire (actually, it was Durham). Ewan MacGregor is in this movie (one of my two favourite British actors; the other one being Sean Bean [who incidently is my favourite ALL TIME actor]).

But it went wrong at the end so please ignore that ^_^

Clark, Sean Bean was born just down the road from me, hes also a sheffield united supporter ! yeah. My dads got loads of dvd's with him in.. there a series called Sharpe i think.

http://www.v0rt3x.me.uk/sean.wav
chloe   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 09:51 GMT
Although I live in Manchester and have a Mancunian accent my dad was born in yorkshire and I luv that accent it sounds really nice and kinda rustic (if u get wot i mean) anyways I think you should keep your yorkshire accent instead of changing it.
Ryan   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 16:54 GMT
It said that the file could not be found on the server when I tried to listen to it, Ryan.

Ryan I