Is Cantonese accent the most widespread bad accent?

wingyellow   Friday, August 22, 2003, 06:50 GMT
Before the return of HK to China in 1997, many Hong Kongers moved to English speaking countries with their money and also their accent. This accent is quite difficult to understand because:

1. it drops out most consonant endings;
2. it does not distinguish s, z, f, v, th, TH
3. its rythm, stress and intonation are strange

I just wonder what people think of Cantonese accent. Is it stupid or what? I personally don't think that Cantonese accent is a shame, because in English speaking countries it is spoken by someone who are rich or professional enough to get a green card.
mjd   Friday, August 22, 2003, 06:52 GMT
An accent isn't shameful. It's just one of the many types of accents in the world.
wingyellow   Friday, August 22, 2003, 06:59 GMT
English with Cantonese accent is way more shameful than Cantonese with English accent in Hong Kong. And Cantonese with Mandarin accent or any other accent of Chinese dialects are the most shameful here.

Are we Hong Kongers pervert?
Kelly   Sunday, August 24, 2003, 19:10 GMT
No...an accent doesn't determine whether someone's a pervert.
albert c   Monday, August 25, 2003, 04:39 GMT
I think some ppl on this forum are more pervert than all Hongkongers put together.
to albert c   Monday, August 25, 2003, 05:34 GMT
are you talking about wingyellow?
to wingyellow   Monday, August 25, 2003, 06:09 GMT
I can feel that you think speaking English with Cantonese accent is a shame. Why you have to look down Hongkongers? Why treat Hongkongers with comtempt?
wingyellow   Monday, August 25, 2003, 06:26 GMT
Don't misinterpret my meaning.
L'amant   Monday, August 25, 2003, 08:07 GMT
What's all this talk about perverts? Did I stumble upon a sex forum or something?
don't know?   Monday, August 25, 2003, 08:41 GMT
perverts on what? please explain.
Hythloday   Monday, August 25, 2003, 10:05 GMT
Wingyellow, which regional accent is the most disfavoured in China?
Bobble   Monday, August 25, 2003, 11:06 GMT
Wingyellow, don't underestimate yourself.

English and Polish are both european languages, Chinese isn't. Even though they're obvously different languages, Polish is much closer to English than Chinese is.

The same works for anyone else as well, first of all, I think it's important to realise how different your language is, from the language you're trying to learn. Just because two languages are not intelligible, doesn't mean they are completely different.
wingyellow   Monday, August 25, 2003, 13:48 GMT
The reason Tom speaks better than me has more to do with the time he spent than the relationship between English and Polish.

Except Mandarin, Shanghaiese and Cantonese, all regional dialects of Chinese are discriminated against.
Wingyellow   Monday, August 25, 2003, 13:52 GMT
Actually, if you believe in the old testament, all languages derive from an old universal language.