The word crap

restroom   Wednesday, October 08, 2003, 19:52 GMT
Is crap a curse word, some people say it is and some people say it isn't.
Do you think crap is a curse word? The dictionary says it is. That's obviously why the last name crapper has gone away, because crap became vulgar.
Clark   Wednesday, October 08, 2003, 20:04 GMT
It is not a curse word, but it is not polite either. I would say it is midway between "shit" and "darn" or "shux."
mjd   Wednesday, October 08, 2003, 20:26 GMT
It's definitely not a curse word. It's a moderately vulgar informal term for...well, shit.
Ryan   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 00:14 GMT
The story is that one of the guys that invented the toilet was named Crapper, and people used to refer to going to the bathroom as "using the crapper," which of course eventually evolved to "taking a crap," with crap meaning excreting bodily wastes, hence feces became "crap."

Ryan
mjd   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 00:34 GMT
John Crapper's legacy......his name immortalized as shit.
Simon   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 07:46 GMT
My mother and father (coming from different areas) disagreed over this. My mum thought crap was an obscene word, whereas my dad thought it was fairly inoffensive, like "drat". I have inherited the latter but realise as you should too that words mean different things to different people.
Lou   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 10:50 GMT
Well, in all this, I always have to think of my English teacher in high school. She maintained that using words like crap, shit and all the rest of those words is just evidence of a person's lack of vocabulary, and I tend to agree with her.
?   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 15:39 GMT
crap is vulgar for feces.
Sima   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 16:16 GMT
Crap is related to Dutch "krappe" from krappen 'pluck or cut off', and perhaps also to Old French crappe 'siftings', Anglo-Latin crappa 'chaff'. The original sense was 'chaff', later coming to mean 'residue from rendering fat' as well as 'dregs of beer'. Current senses denoting 'something of poor quality', 'rubbish', 'nonsense', 'excrement', date from the late 19th century: the common notion is one of 'rejected matter'.
Jamie On   Thursday, October 09, 2003, 20:11 GMT
Depends on context and how you say it. If I went up to a stranger in the street and shouted in their face "I think you are a stupid piece of CRAP!!!!" that would be very rude (duh!)

But "ah crap" is like "drat" or "darn" - harmless.
?   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 03:04 GMT
Have you ever played the game ''craps'' before?
Ryan   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 03:38 GMT
In Sheffield were i live, crap just means rubbish.... But when i went just a few miles away to manchester people thaught it was a curse word, strange ^_^ i would use the word like this. "that movie was propper crap"
A.S.C.M.   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 04:00 GMT
Hello, Yorkshire laddie, it's very interesting how people in different regions regard the same words with different attitudes. By the way, watch your spelling.

Does anyone use "drat" anymore?
Ryan   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 04:31 GMT
i am dyslexic and there is no spell check on here ^_^ i cant be arsed to paste it from word. soz :P i dont know anybody who says drat apart from my gran.
..   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 14:22 GMT
why is there a fish called a crappie? it is spelled crappie but it's pronounced like croppie.