Pidgin English

mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 07:12 GMT
You'll often hear speakers of Romance languages say they can understand each other to a certain degree. The same goes for German/Dutch, the Scandinavians and their languages, and perhaps the Slavs as well.

I have always wondered if there was any language that served as English's cousin. I found a version of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights written in Nigerian Pidgin English. It's very interesting to read and I think this could possibly illustrate how native speakers of the languages or instances I stated above feel when they're dealing with their language's "cousin."

here is the link: http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/pcm.htm
mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 07:30 GMT
Here's some information on the Gullah creole spoken on the coastal islands of South Carolina.

http://www.1upinfo.com/encyclopedia/G/Gullah.html

http://www.brookgreen.com/gullah/page3.html
Clark   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 16:22 GMT
Mjd, I do not see the connection between the European languages you mentioned and Creoles and Pidgins. The European languages you mentioned are simply variants of each other.

However, I was flipping through the channels the other day, and I heard this Jamaican person saying that Gullah was spoken by the ancestors of African slaves brought over from the middle of Western Africa who worked on the rice fields or something. The interesting part is that the Africans who would end up in Jamaica eventually spoke the same Creole, Gullah, as their African-American cousins.
mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 19:38 GMT
The connection I was trying to make was the following:

You can look at samples of the same sentence in the Romance languages and see the similarities between them. You can do the same for German and Dutch. I can't really think of a language that parallels English in the same way (I know there are a lot of cognates with English and all of the Latin/Greek based languages, but I don't think they're that similar), so I figured the best I could do was to find examples of Pidgin English.
Clark   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 00:48 GMT
Ah; I see! That is very interesting now that I better understand it.
Jack Doolan   Monday, October 20, 2003, 06:04 GMT
Much use of Pidgin languages in New Guinea and other Melanesian islands. New Guinea has more languages than the rest of the world combined, they say. Some of the formulations are funny - shouldn't laugh but they are FUNNY.
A.S.C.M.   Monday, October 20, 2003, 06:25 GMT
Singlish is a very amusing form of Pidgin English.
Ryan   Monday, October 20, 2003, 16:56 GMT
English is a creole itself of Norman French and Old Saxon, so English speakers shouldn't laugh too much at other people's pidgins and creole languages.
Clark   Monday, October 20, 2003, 16:58 GMT
Now that I have had a lot of time to think about it, English is not a Creole. It is simply a Germanic language that has incorporated many French/Latin words. If it was a Creole, sometime in its past, it would have lost a lot of vocabulary, and then regained many words from other languages (this is the definition of a Creole language--I think).
Ryan   Monday, October 20, 2003, 23:28 GMT
How do you know that Saxon and Norman French did not undergo a pidginization process? Such pidgin languages are rarely found in written form. I would surmise that English was the eventual creole formed from the pidgin process of Normans and native Britons trying to communicate with each other.
messire lavoisel   Monday, October 20, 2003, 23:34 GMT
For those who can read French, this site about the interactions between French and English is very interesting.

http://www.e-cours-online.com/cours-online/cohl/cohl2.htm
Sima   Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 00:19 GMT
interesting site messire lavoisel
gary   Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 00:45 GMT
What do you think about this part of the link that messire lavoisel forwarded :

Mais cette quantité apparente de vocabulaire est relative. Car quand on en vient à former des mots nouveaux pour des concepts nouveaux, l'anglais se retrouve dans une situation bien précaire comparé aux langues latines. Certains linguistes disent que l'anglais est la langue alphanumérique la plus riche qu'il soit ; d'autres disent que c'est la plus pauvre ! A bien réfléchir, ils ont tous raison. Car l'anglais moderne n'a pas d'origine, dans le sens où il n'a pas une langue ancienne dans laquelle il peut puiser des racines pour construire des mots nouveaux, ou des repères historiques de la culture des peuples qui le parlent. L'anglais n'est pas une langue qui regarde en arrière, car il n'a pas vraiment de passé. Il en va de même des peuples qui s'expriment par lui : leur mentalité ne les incite pas à regarder en arrière. Dans ce contexte, il est difficile de créer un mot nouveau pour un concept nouveau ; les linguistes ne peuvent pas puiser dans des racines gaéliques, saxonnes, nordiques, ou encore normandes. La solution la plus naturelle émane là encore du peuple, qui en passe par les compositages de mots
fanny   Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 00:57 GMT
thanks messire lavoisel
nice link
this passage is interesting :

difficultés que rencontrent les Français quand ils apprennent l'anglais

Cette immense souplesse des anglophones à adapter leur outil linguistique au fur et à mesure de leurs besoins est difficile à concevoir pour un Français qui apprend cette langue. En français, au contraire, il ne viendrait pas à l'idée d'un locuteur de créer des compositages sur le tas ; il faut respecter l'emploi du lexique officiel qui est listé dans les dictionnaires. Pourtant, cette liberté de création s'apprend ; et elle est d'ailleurs salutaire, car on pense toujours "manquer de vocabulaire" tant qu'on n'y prend pas part. Par contre, dès qu'on prend la liberté de composer les notions, notamment avec les "prépositions", on se rend compte qu'il est possible de parler de n'importe quel sujet avec n'importe quel interlocuteur sans avoir le moindre niveau en vocabulaire. C'est très encourageant quand on sait que la première chose dont se plaignent les apprenants en anglais, quels que soient leur niveau ou leur objectif, c'est d'un "manque de vocabulaire".
interesting link   Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 01:00 GMT
Les terres anglaises ayant vu cohabiter Celtes et Romains, puis Celtes et Saxons, Saxons et Scandinaves, ou encore Saxons et Normands, beaucoup de formes sont nées de juxtaposition de termes ayant le même sens dans des dialectes différents, c'est à dire de pléonasmes. Ainsi peut-on citer par exemple courtyard, qui veut dire courcour, mansionhouse qui signifie en fait maisonmaison, ou encore first and foremost (le premier et le plus en avant), que l'on pourrait traduire par d'abord et avant tout. Alors qu'en rédaction française les pléonasmes sont de lourdes fautes de goût, en anglais ils ne posent aucun problème. C'est l'un des aspects de la construction de phrase qui déroute les Français quand ils apprennent l'anglais