Spelling reform

Richard   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 04:28 GMT
This spelling reform and many others keep the capital letters and many or all of the same rules for them, but there was this one spelling reform that had an idea to get rid of all the capital letters. I really think that's a weird and not a good idea. If they threw away capitals, you wouldn't know where there's a name. Of course this spelling reform gives a new rule for one of the capital letter words. The word ''I'' that is always spelled with a capital. They spell it ''ie''.
Richard   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 05:00 GMT
There's this one spelling reform called ''Fanetiks'' that keeps the appostrophies in the contractions.
Jim   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 05:28 GMT
Allow me to correct something. It is not true that ''ow'' and ''oy'' include a consonant. The letters "w" and "y" are not consonants but letters. I can understand their reluctance to include them but if you don't you can end up with some funny looking stuff. The word "player", for example, should come out as "plaeur". My respelling would keep "player".
Richard   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 05:33 GMT
Yep, I guess it's true that the words would look really crazy without them.

Player-plaeur
mayor-maeur
prayer-, noun-prer verb-praeur
sayer-saeur

Yep, they'd look really really crazy.
Richard   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 20:05 GMT
They respelled the ''and/or' thing as ''andor'' that doesn't sound very good.
Richard   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 20:09 GMT
The spelling reforms ''fanetiks'' and ''truespel'' don't like the idea of consonants in letters representing a vowel sound either.
Richard   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 20:19 GMT
They reform the words ''tour'' ''poor and ''your'' as tor, por and yor. they reform the words ''sure'', ''mature'' and plural as ''shur'', ''muchur'' and ''plurul''.
Clark   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 23:23 GMT
I say "tour" closer to how the French say the word (yes, there is a french word "tour" but it does not have the same meaning).
Simon   Wednesday, October 29, 2003, 09:45 GMT
There are two tours in French:

Le tour - turn etc.
La tour - tower