BBC English

Hythloday   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 11:07 GMT
Re: "True no accent is inherently 'ugly' or 'beautiful' as you put it. But one is for certain, those accents do come across a bit on the uneducated side as they seem to mumble a lot and therefore look down upon as it happens for every language on this earth. For me RP does not sound snobbish but I do think it is clear and precise as their speakers make a concious effort to properly pronounce their words which is the reason why I like it."

Firstly, I think you are confusing pronunciation with enunciation. It is possible for a person with a regional accent to enunciate words clearly and communicate effectively. It is equally possible for a person with an RP accent to mumble words in an incoherent fashion. For example, I have heard many clear Birmingham speakers (Cat Deeley, Nigel Mansell) and a number of unclear Birmingham speakers (Ozzy Osborne). I have also heard both clear and incomprehensible (marked and unmarked) RP and Estuary English speakers, so your claim that certain regional accents are inferior because they are less clear than social varieties such as RP is unfounded.

Secondly, accents such as Brummie, Scouse, Geordie and Cockney are predominantly working-class accents. This is why you refer to them as 'uneducated' and why you appear to be implying that middle-class RP/Estuary sounds more educated and therefore superior. Don't make the mistake of equating intelligence with education, by the way. Some of the most highly educated people I have ever met have also been the most stupid.

Thirdly, there is no 'proper' way to pronounce English. There are many DIFFERENT ways (social and regional accents), but there is no CORRECT way.

Re: "Yes I know Brummie accent comes from Birmingham which used to be heavily industrialised, but that's not the cause of my dislike of this peculiar accent. It's just the way they pronounce words. It's like a mumble for a foreigner. The same holds for Scouse accent." A survey carried out recently in Britain suggested that foreigners prefer the Brummie accent to RP and many other British English accents because it is clearer, more musical (i.e. it has greater intonational variablity) and more expressive. The foreign respondents in this survey certainly certainly didn't think Brummie sounded 'like a mumble', and this proves that your perceptions are influenced by the social connotations which the accent possesses.

Re: "Hythloday, I'm sorry if my post about Brummie accent offended you in some way. I'm sure people in Birmingham are very kind and friendly, and do not deserve to be discriminated [against]." Not at all. I love a good natter. Accent preference is not just a simple matter of taste, though, is it? You have to admit that there are usually a number of often very complex social reasons why we like the accents that we do. Scouse, for example, was a very popular accent in the 60s and 70s, but is now one of the most heavily stigmatised British English accents. Any idea why?

Re: "Firstly, Hythloday is a Brummie but Birmingham isn't exactly in the North so I suggest that you rephrase your apology. " Thanks, A.S.C.M. - Birmingham is not in the north or south of England, it is in the middle (i.e. the Midlands).
Jaro   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 12:00 GMT
I did not know that Scouse used to be a popular accent in the 60s and 70s. Why is it so stigmatised now then? I don't want to speculate about why is it so because I hadn't even existed in 70s and I don't know much about British government and history of that time. Perhaps you as a Brit could enlighten us to this. There aren't social classes in Britain anymore, are there?
I've heard somewhere it can be very hard for a Brummie to get a job in London (for instance) just because of his accent. People think he is a thief and that he will rob you or something. Is this true?
Jaro   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 12:31 GMT
I did a little bit search and found this topic in antimoon archive:

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2003/2322.htm

Interesting reading!

Accent discrimination in England is something horrible!
Hythloday   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 14:35 GMT
Re: "I did not know that Scouse used to be a popular accent in the 60s and 70s. Why is it so stigmatised now then?"

It was popular then because of the popularity of the Beatles. It's unpopular now because of negative media stereotyping of Scousers as thieving scallies.

Re: "I don't want to speculate about why is it so because I hadn't even existed in 70s and I don't know much about British government and history of that time."

It is possible for a person to find out a little about what happened before they were born, you know. I was born after the Beatles split up too.

Re: "Perhaps you as a Brit could enlighten us to this. There aren't social classes in Britain anymore, are there?

Yes, there are. The divide between the rich and the poor in British society is wider than it has ever been.

Re: "I've heard somewhere it can be very hard for a Brummie to get a job in London (for instance) just because of his accent. People think he is a thief and that he will rob you or something. Is this true?"

This depends very much upon the employer. Unfortunately, many people in London are ignorant and bigoted, and prejudice based on language use is very common indeed. Unlike the US, there is no law against accent discrimination in the UK, but there definitely should be.
A.S.C.M.   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 23:52 GMT
There are social classes and wide chasms between them in every country.

My family were employers in London but we didn't discriminate based on accents. After all, my parents spoke with foreign accents that rang even worse in the ears of bigoted Londoners than regional working-class English accents.