Learning spanish (and others)

Brian   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 06:36 GMT
Hello,

After stumbling here from supermemo.com, I liked the sound of the advice given for learning English. But, being a native English speaker, I have no need to follow these guidelines for this language. Instead, I was thinking I could perhaps apply the same techniques to other languages.

The problem of the moment is obtaining a quality Spanish-Spanish dictionary in a software format, with lots of example sentences and a clear pronounciation guide, as well as other suitable books and documents suitable for the beginner.

Can anyone recommend such Spanish-language resources?
Any recommendations for other languages would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Tremmert   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 20:01 GMT
Hear, hear! More thought to us natives ;)
Chris   Friday, December 05, 2003, 21:24 GMT
Well, it's really difficult to get a good website on Spanish Language it's really difficult to explain some rules, just try to apply them to some situations and that's it.
However, if you have any doubt I can help you, just post a message and ask whatever you want ;)
Tom   Saturday, December 06, 2003, 01:22 GMT
I can recommend the online dictionary at www.diccionarios.com.

The dictionary doesn't have transcriptions (only audio recordings), but AFAIK Spanish pronunciation matches the spelling pretty closely, so maybe you can live without them. It's not like learning English, where you need a dictionary with phonetic transcriptions or you're screwed.

I searched for "simplified spanish books" on Google and found this link:
http://www.grantandcutler.com/catalogues/spanish/main/b03s111.htm

Try reading CNN en Espanol. It's fairly easy to understand if you're familiar with the day's news.

Try playing first the English, then Spanish version of "Grim Fandango" (an adventure game for PCs).