Conversate is not a word

Conversations   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 22:57 GMT
A lot of people use this word, but the correct word for the verb is ''converse''. There is no such word as ''conversate''. Although, we do say ''conversation''.
Jay   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 23:18 GMT
It's a back formation. We'll have to see if it sticks, or not.
Conversate   Saturday, January 03, 2004, 23:24 GMT
We need to conversate. No, you don't you need to converse.
Conversate   Sunday, January 04, 2004, 02:10 GMT
I enjoy being imature by posting primary messages all of which are a jumble of obsessive obviousnesses. I used to go by the name of Restroom, in case this might ring a bell.
Converse   Sunday, January 04, 2004, 02:14 GMT
Yeah, you enjoy being imature, Conversate. I have a better name than you. I don't know but I think your name is as gross as having the name ''restroom''.
mjd   Monday, January 05, 2004, 00:38 GMT
I've never in my life heard anyone use the term "conversate."
Jim   Monday, January 05, 2004, 04:17 GMT
You guys are a bunch of really sick people. I have never heard anyone say the word ''conversate''. Never ever.
Jim   Monday, January 05, 2004, 06:31 GMT
To All,

The Jim who wrote the above post and I are two different fiends. He uses the word "guys". I don't: I'm the Aussie Jim. Just thought I'd try to clear any confusion up.

I haven't heard anyone ever use the word "conversate" either and I'd advise people not to. It sounds wrong like using "obligate" instead of "oblige" though I have it on good account* that even "obligate" is OK.

To the other Jim who posted the above message,

How does your never having heard "conversate" make everyone a bunch of sick people?

* http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=54707&dict=CALD
Simon   Monday, January 05, 2004, 08:48 GMT
Yes - All you conversatees are just kidding yourselves. You don't exist.
Dave   Monday, January 05, 2004, 19:32 GMT
Real Martians aren't fake!
Fake   Monday, January 05, 2004, 20:48 GMT
Fake Martians aren't real. Real things aren't fake. Fake things aren't real.
Dave   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 13:34 GMT
If you ever watch TV court shows, you'll hear conversate or conversating quite a bit.
mjd   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 19:25 GMT
Yeah, but the individuals on tv court shows tend to be rather low-class.
Jim   Wednesday, January 07, 2004, 00:41 GMT
TV courts are contemptible.
snoring pumpkin   Wednesday, January 14, 2004, 20:45 GMT
Nothing better than a good on-line laugh!! How Martians and the discussion of reality got into this conversate-tion, I can only guess (not meaning to leave Santa out). Anyway, conversate is an old English usage and since much court language is rooted in older English (not to be confused with the officially designated Old English, which none of us would have any hope of understanding without proper tutoring) it's no wonder that it appears on TV court. I have read books written in the mid-1800's-early1900's where the word conversate is used, since converse was, at that time, reserved for meaning opposite, or conversly. But, check this out: I'm happy to be a part of this conversazione.... even though it means mingling with Martians, including the ones who don't believe in Santa Clause. Shame, shame on you.