Survey social class accents please answer

Chris   Monday, January 05, 2004, 18:27 GMT
Hi everyone,
I have to write an essay about British social class accents.
I would be glad if you would take some time to answer these questions.
You are very welcome to answer even if you are not British.
I hope to find about 30 people to answer this questionaire.

Brtish Social class accents
1. Do you think social class accents are still important today and why?
2. In what parts of life are they still important? Which parts of life are especially influenced by your social class accent? work, university...
3. Received pronunciation, Queen's English, Oxford English, Posh English
-Do you think these are different terms for the same accent, or do you think they are different accents?
4. RP: your comments about RP
5. Oxford English: your comments about Oxford English
6. Queen's English: if you have some comments
7. Posh English: here you can make some comments about posh English
8. Estuary English: room for your comments
9. Slang: your comments typical slang expressions:
10. Some people say the Queen's accent has changed over the years.
-Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Have you noticed a change in her accent?
11. Here you can name some poeple who are typical RP, Queen's English, Oxford English, posh English, Estuary speakers...
12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh?
13. What is your general opinion about social class accents?
-Do think they should stay or do you think they should be abolished?
14. What kind of social class accent do you have yourself?
15. The future of British social class accents:
Which accents will comletely die out? Queen's English, RP?
Which social class accent will the majority of British people have in about 10-20 years? Estuary? or something else?

Finally you can make some general comments on this topic if you like:

If you know some good websites about British social class accents you can write them down here:

Thank you very much!!!
Juan   Monday, January 05, 2004, 23:19 GMT
This survey is probably not for me, but I'll say my 2 cents worht anyway. I really don't mind what kind of accent a particular speaker has as long as it is clear and understandable and not too annyoing.

1. No because accents don't tell if the person is intellegent, nice, etc, etc, etc...
2. Maybe if your part of the British social class system which I'm not. No part of my life is influenced by my English accent unless I'm travelling to the States or Britain where I might be judged fairly or unfairly. I really don't know, I guess it's up to the individuals found there. Where I'm from, just as long your fluent and understandable is all that matters.
3. Wouldn't have a clue.
4. Interesting, clear and prestigious (for those in England at least and maybe some Americans). Personally I don't see it as above any other accent.
Simon   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 10:54 GMT
I grew up in inner city London but probably sound more English Home Counties. Whereas people who grew up there, sound like they grew up in inner city London. Crazy world, guvnor.
Antonio   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 12:10 GMT
1. Do you think social class accents are still important today and why?
->Less than 20 years ago, but some people still pay attention to accents. They tell a lot about you.

2. In what parts of life are they still important? Which parts of life are especially influenced by your social class accent? work, university...

->Today, as going to College became a reality to a greater share of the population, accents; their assimilation, became less centralised. In the past, people wnet to College and there they ´acquired´ an accent. Now, those accents are biased and people preferred more relaxed accents.

3. Received pronunciation, Queen's English, Oxford English, Posh English
-Do you think these are different terms for the same accent, or do you think they are different accents?
-> There are various RP´s. RP is just a general name given to a ´general southern educated accent´, and it comes in many ways. OE is more to a ´cult-affected´ RP accent cultivated in Oxford, just like we have the Cambridge accent too. QE is the royal form of U-RP.
Some accent people define as RP aren´t. Today, anyone speaking in a ´posh´ manner are fear to be defined as RP. RP is a stratum.

4. RP: your comments about RP

-> Not a better accent than any other. Clearer perhaps.

5. Oxford English: your comments about Oxford English
-> mincing.

6. Queen's English: if you have some comments
-> I like it.

7. Posh English: here you can make some comments about posh English
-> Hugh Grant may be posh but not RP at all -> just a concrete example.

8. Estuary English: room for your comments
-> I love it! If I could speak this accent I certainly would. I´m afraind I could be mal-interpreted if I said that EE is ´trendy´ and fashionable. I mean the best of that!

9. Slang: your comments typical slang expressions:
-> Natural evolution of any language which happens to be spoken by real people, not schoolars. As long as you don´t only stick to them, I think it´s great!

10. Some people say the Queen's accent has changed over the years.
-Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? Have you noticed a change in her accent?
-> Some people claim that it has changed. Good. She now pronounces ´w´ instead of the dull ´l´ and some other differences. Times change and the Monarchy must change with it. The tapped ´r´ is still there.

11. Here you can name some poeple who are typical RP, Queen's English, Oxford English, posh English, Estuary speakers...
12. Do you think there is a tendancy for upper class people/ people who are very well-educated to hide their posh accent and to speak less posh?

13. What is your general opinion about social class accents?
-Do think they should stay or do you think they should be abolished?
-> Definitely stay.

14. What kind of social class accent do you have yourself?
-> I reserve myself the right not to answer this one. I´m a Southerner and had the opportunity to receive education, I wasn´t exposed to regional accents much and have been living abroad most of my life. I´ll send a sample one day. I think the British aren´t contributing much on this.

15. The future of British social class accents:
Possibly most will settle as new forms of the old ones. EE is likely to move into to status of ´best Southern representative´, once taken by RP.
The social dynamics in the UK has and will change more than it has till now. An accent is pure culture; how you feel, your identity.

Which accents will comletely die out? Queen's English, RP?
-> the stratum will go on, hopefully.

Which social class accent will the majority of British people have in about 10-20 years? Estuary? or something else?
Don´t know. I suppose it wont differ much from today. Maybe more people speaking EE around The Greater London. But perhaps in the North people begin to consider the geordie accent the new trend!
Antonio   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 12:37 GMT
I forgot to answer the 12th: Yes, they do.
Simon   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 15:13 GMT
We are all affected by class. Those who grow up in middle class home counties areas, with parents who speak PR would not go mockney.

I think our ideas of class and social acceptability are changing but that doesn't mean that the way we choose to speak is not influenced by social realities.
Antonio   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 16:50 GMT
I once met a girl ( form Manchester I think ) who really wanted to go mockney, Simon. I really wish I had a Cockney accent, she said...

I didn´t mean that people will go mockney as to hide their origin, but speak in a more relaxed way and accepting more slangs in their speech. It is impressive how people modify their way of speaking to fit certain careers and media. People on the telly speak like their jobs demands ( ie: trendy Estuary, or standard RP ), artists, baristers, clerks etc...
Simon   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 17:09 GMT
Ha ha, I've been told it's a pity I don't have a Manchester accent.

I think we are becoming more like America. You judge someone's social status on their earning power etc. not on their accent.
Chris   Tuesday, January 06, 2004, 22:32 GMT
Thank you for your answers so far.
There's a lot of information about social class accents on the internet and in books, but I think it's quite important to ask 'ordinary' people -sorry for that expression- what they think about social class accents --- some interesting answers so far.
Chris   Saturday, January 10, 2004, 19:22 GMT
Some more answers?
Antonio   Monday, January 12, 2004, 11:42 GMT
Chris,

That would be nice...

I think there aren´t enough British here to make some sort of safe judgement on that, or those who might, simply find it too complicated and don´t want to seem stupid saying some crap.
You asked very specific questions; har to just give some answer. Outside the fact that it is a very long questionnaire... :g